Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

1.x motor shield: servo stopped working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

1.x motor shield: servo stopped working

by crichman on Fri May 22, 2020 2:08 pm

I've been using a 1.x motor shield and Uno boards for several years. (One original Arduino Uno failed, probably due to power issues. I murdered the second, alas. I've been using an Elegoo R3 board successfully for 2 years.) Separate power supply for motor power (a fan) and a single servo (actually, a landing gear retract repurposed to open and close a duct). I noticed that the servo stopped working, My code is still running.

I tried a replacement servo (a Hitec HS-75BB retract servo this time.) I get nothing with my code, and I get nothing with the Sweep example code. Both attach to 9.

Is it more likely that a component on the shield has failed? One on the Arduino board? Am I correct in understanding that the shield merely passes the servo signals through from the Arduino board?

It's always possible that the replacement servo itself is bad, but not awfully likely that there would be two separate faults at the same time.

crichman

Re: 1.x motor shield: servo stopped working

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri May 22, 2020 2:22 pm

The shield just passes through the servo signals from pins 9 and 10. By default, it takes 5v from the Arduino 5v pin. If that were to fail, the Arduino would fail too.

It is possible you have a marginal solder joint that failed. Other than that, there is not much that can go wrong on the shield.

adafruit_support_bill

by crichman on Sat May 23, 2020 9:33 am

I verified that there's 5v going to the servo, but the arduino and the shield have separate power supplies. (There's actually a third for the fan.) Does 5v at the servo tell me that the shield has power, or is there something else I should do to verify that? Thanks.

crichman

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat May 23, 2020 10:14 am

The external power terminal are for the DC/Stepper motors. There is no connection between that power source and the servos.

adafruit_support_bill

by crichman on Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am

Thanks. I'm going to pull everything apart, test the new servo with a new Arduino board, and move forward from there.

crichman

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.