Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Data Logger Prototyping Area
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Data Logger Prototyping Area

by Lord_Swad on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Apologies for the daft question but I'm trying to (more permanently) wire a BME280 sensor to the data logger shield. I struggled to see how I could solder the male headers I'd put on the 280 to the prototyping area and then solder a connecting wire from the same header (other side of the shield) to the correct pin. I'd looked at crimping the wire and the header pin together but that didn't seem obvious and then I wondered if the prototyping area holes were connected 'horizontally' (as opposed to the 5V and Gnd connected 'vertically'). That didn't work so I assume the rows aren't connected?

Have I just connected wrongly? If not what suggestion would you have to connect the BME header pins on one side and the wire to the right side pin (SCL etc) on the other?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jeremy

Lord_Swad

Re: Data Logger Prototyping Area

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:52 pm

The pads on the power rails are all connected. But all of the other pads in the prototyping area are *not* connected. They are individual pads. So it's more like perfboard than a breaboard.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dat ... 1947158-10

Are you wanting the BME280 to more or less be permanently attached to the logger shield?

adafruit_support_carter

by Lord_Swad on Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 am

Yes, I’m trying to install it in a relatively height limited space so I was hoping to mount it directly onto the shield

Lord_Swad

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:36 pm

There's no one best solution. Simply route wires as needed. You can use the power rails in the prototyping area for power. For other connections, wire from the secondary row next to the main shield header pins. To bridge things between unconnected holes in the prototyping area, can just bodge some solder jumpers, etc.

adafruit_support_carter

by Lord_Swad on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:19 am

Thanks, now I know I'm not missing something obvious I can continue with confidence

Lord_Swad

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.