Due could not find Motor Shield v2

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chrisj1

Due could not find Motor Shield v2

Post by chrisj1 »

Hi, I am trying to use Motor Shield v2.3 with an Arduino Due but on trying the DCMotorTest example sketch I am getting the "Could not find Motor Shield. Check Wiring." error message.

Per the instructions, I have "Cut the small trace between the center pad and 5v and add a jumper from 3.3v to the center." The shield is powered with the barrel jack to a 12v wall plug and the power light is bright green. The Due is powered via USB to my computer. The motor shield is the only shield attached to the Due.

Any advice on how to debug? As far as I can tell my solder pad from the 3v to center pad is good and the connection to the 5v pad is cut, but I don't know the best way to confirm?

Picture of board attached in case that's helpful.

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 338 times

mikeysklar

Re: Due could not find Motor Shield v2

Post by mikeysklar »

Can you show a close up of the pads you cut and soldered?
For use with the Due or other 3.3v processors, you must configure the board for 3.3v logic levels. Find the set of 3 pads labeled "Logic". Cut the small trace between the center pad and 5v and add a jumper from 3.3v to the center.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... rduino/faq

chrisj1

Post by chrisj1 »

Picture attached.

I feel like I've etched deeply all around between the solder and the 5v pad, but like I said, not sure if this is the issue. Not sure if there are pins to test to see whether 3 vs 5V is showing up on the board?

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (102.22 KiB) Viewed 327 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

If you use a multimeter and measure continuity between the modified pads what do you see?

Specifically the logic 3v soldered pads do you have a good connection between them?

Also the cut 5v pad can you verify there is no conductivity there.

Then the pads above the logic 3v text which have some etching marks are those all still isolated? It almost looks like some copper threads cutting are creating a contact issue.

chrisj1

Post by chrisj1 »

From everything I can tell, everything looks as it should when testing continuity. 3v pad to 3v pin is connected, 3v pad to 5v pad is not. Continuity to all the pads above the logic pads are testing as they should (i.e., the lower of each of the pad pairs above the logic pads are connected to the 3v pad and not connected to the 5v pad). I have a completely new and untouched motor shield for comparison and all seems to be consistent (any pads/pins with/without continuity to the 5v pad on the new one match those with the 3v pad on the modified shield I'm working on).

The other issue could be from my connecting the shield to the Arduino Due and powering it all up BEFORE I caught the note to modify the logic pads to 3v. Perhaps I fried a pin(s) on the Due itself, although the motor test sketch still uploads and runs to the point of telling me it could not find the motor shield.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Do you have another controller you can test with the shield?

What are you using for power supplies and motors?

chrisj1

Post by chrisj1 »

I don't have another Due to test with at the moment.

For power supplies, I've tried using both a 5V (4A) and a 12V (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P ... UTF8&psc=1). Always connected to the barrel jack on the shield itself. Arduino is powered via usb to the computer.

I don't currently have any motor connected (previously had stepper but disconnected while debugging this issue, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3 ... UTF8&psc=1). My assumption is that not having a motor connected is not an issue as the code exits with the "could not find the shield" error upfront in the motor test sketch.

Chris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”