Power issues with Adafruit Motor Shield V2

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GageBenham

Power issues with Adafruit Motor Shield V2

Post by GageBenham »

I recently bought a motor shield for a research project that uses stepper motors. However when I connect the arduino to my PC, the power LED on the shield briefly turns on and then shuts off, and my PC no longer recognizes the arduino. When I hold down the reset Button however, the LED on the shield remains lit and my PC continues to recognize the device. At first I was concerned that the 2 Stepper motors connected to the shield were drawing too much power. However I have gotten both motors to spin for extended period of time, using both a 5V and 12V power supply. This inconsistency is extremely frustrating and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Power issues with Adafruit Motor Shield V2

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please post specs for the motors you are using.

How are you supplying power to the shield? Via VIN from the Arduino, or via the external power terminals?

GageBenham

Post by GageBenham »

I tried supplying power through both connections. But I have solved the problem. Connecting the arduino to an adjustable power supply helped me discover that there was insufficient current, though I'm still not sure why it worked sometimes and not others beforehand. Anyway, thanks for your support.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Some power supplies have a 'thermal shutdown' circuit. If they start to overheat due to overload, they will just shut down until they can cool off.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”