Control stepper Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Ardu

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jgvera

Control stepper Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Ardu

Post by jgvera »

Hi,

I just buy the Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 and I need to control some steppers.
I got two different types of steppers and I very new in electronics. I need to know which parameters should I see to connect the motors so I don't burn anything. I also got a power supply whit an output of 5 and 12V.

The specifications of the motors are:
Motor 1:
Rated voltage DC 2.8V
Rated current 1.68A /
Phase angle 1.8" ± 5%
Phase 2
Maximum holding torque: 5.5kgf · cm
Insulation resistance 100MΩ (500VDC)
Insulation class CLASS: B
Moment of inertia 68g. Cm
Mass 0.35kg

Motor2:
Step Angle (degrees): 1.8
2 Phase
Rated Voltage: 15.4V
Rated Current: 0.28A
Holding Torque: 2.4kg*cm
Detent Torque: 120g*cm

I know to run bought motor I need to use two different shields but are they compatible with the shield? And which power supply should I use to drive them correctly?
And in the future if I need to use some motors which parameters should I see in the motors and drivers to tun them properly?

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Control stepper Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Both of those motor specs are missing the single most important parameter: The phase resistance. Since the motor shield does not have current limiting, you need to know the phase resistance to determine compatibility with a motor:

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-st ... he-stepper

The other option is to use a pair of DRV8833 controllers. These have current limiting.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/3297

jgvera

Post by jgvera »

thak you very much for the links,

I found these specs

Motor 1:
Winding resistance: 1.65 Ω
Winding inductance: 2.8 mH

Motor 2:
Winding resistance: 32.6 Ω
Winding inductance: 48 mH

adafruit_support_bill

Motor 1:
Winding resistance: 1.65 Ω
Winding inductance: 2.8 mH

Motor 2:
Winding resistance: 32.6 Ω
Winding inductance: 48 mH
Motor 1 is designed for use with a current limiting driver. It is not compatible with the shield. But you could use that with the DRV8833 and any power supply up to 10.8v.

Motor 2, should work well with the shield and a power supply up to 13.5v.

jgvera

Post by jgvera »

Is it posible to burn the arduino with this shield?

I was running a program with the shield and with a 12V power supply.

At the begginig I got no problems but with the time the arduino started to get hotter. Specially the chips next to the usb port, one of this chips got a little brown around. I attached a picture.

Now when I connect the arduino via USB to the computer the led don't light and I can't upload any program. But if I connect the arduino to a 5V or 12V power supply the led light, and if it is sometimes I can upload a program and sometimes I can't.

Is it any other consideration I must take to in this cases so I don´t burn things? And it means the arduino will not work via USB anymore?

Thanks

Javier
Attachments
Arduino_Adafruit.jpg
Arduino_Adafruit.jpg (248.27 KiB) Viewed 277 times

adafruit_support_bill

The circled chip is the voltage regulator. When powering the Arduino with 12v, that chip needs to 'burn off' the extra 7v to produce the 5v that powers the rest of the board. If you have much additional 5v circuitry, it puts additional load on the voltage regulator and it can overheat. I prefer to use a power supply in the 7v-7v range as it puts much less stress on the regulator.

Powering via USB, you get 5v directly from the USB port and that bypasses the regulator entirely. I am surprised that you are not able to run the board from USB. When plugged into USB, what voltages do you measure on the 5v pin and the VIN pin?

tony_memphis

Post by tony_memphis »

Along the same lines, can I power the Arduino and the stepper from the same source? I have a 12V 2A supply. My thought was to power both but connecting them both directly to the supply (not taking the 12V from the Arduino Vin pin).

Yes, I am the same guy that just posted about frying a laptop! Ironic that I am asking this question!

Thanks,

Tony

adafruit_support_bill

You can. You can supply 12v to either the Arduino barrel jack, or the shield external power terminals. If you have the VIN jumper installed they will share that power.

Once caveat is that the Arduino 5v regulator is a linear regulator. With a 12v supply, it will be burning off 60% of the power as heat. That is not a problem if the only 5v load is the Arduino & shield logic circuits. But if you add much more load to the Arduino 5v pin you can overload the Arduino regulator.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”