new to arduino

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
guitarmods

new to arduino

Post by guitarmods »

Hey guys,

Brand new to arduino, matter of fact I have two R3 boards and cant remember where they came from (midnight on the web weve all been there)

Im mostly a RASPI guy myself. BUT since I have the boards....

anyway. so I was thinking, that after doing some light reading and though that perhaps I could finally construct the ULTIMATE (for me) portable MP3 player.

Now Ive had LOTS of mp3 players, everything from the size of a thumbnail (useless) to the size of a paperback book (getting there)

BUT the one limitation was ALWAYS storage. Biggest Ive had (outside of my pc, is 60GB) and that recently died.

Then I saw this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1788 MP3 Shield for Arduino w/3W Stereo Amp

and thought BINGO the start of a GREAT mp3 player.

See I want to take ALL my music EVERYWHERE, the car the office, traveling everywhere, so i know there will be size and battery trade offs.

HOWEVER after the sheild arrived and I started looking through the tutorials, whaty im finding is that in its base mode, this is designed to read from a microSD and thats all.

NOW I know that w/ A RASPI ZERP and WDLABS kit I can slap a 1TB HD on the bottom and a 2" lcd on top and hit the road.

But in the ARDUINO world Im just not educated enough to know what direction to look in.

SO If there is a shield/add on/HAT etc. that will allow me to use the MP3 board w/ a LARGE SATA drive please point me in the direction.

ALTERNATIVELY if there is a way to use a "usb portable HD) in conjunction w/ the R3 and AMP board, can you point me in THAT direction?

I'm all about reading and learning. Thanks!

J

adafruit_support_mike

Re: new to arduino

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

No, I'm afraid the Arduino doesn't have enough memory to communicate with a SATA drive. It only has 2k of RAM.

guitarmods

Post by guitarmods »

Ok, well I guess that goes back into the big box of mystery and I work onthe RASPI end of it.

now, the question is do I try with a generic raspi or go with one of the zeros?

I have 3 (I know i ordered those on purpose) just not 100% sure my MP3 player needs wifi.

but it would definately be a neat feature.....

and I'll have to wait until another lkight shower (I dont really have brain storms anymore) comes along with an idea for the arduino.

hmmm even bought a screen for it......

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It will be easiest to connect a drive to a RasPi through a USB port, and the port on the Zero takes a little getting used to.

You'd also need to work out a power strategy.. a hard drive probably uses more power than a RasPi to keep the plates spinning.

The best thing to do will be to dive into data-collection mode and find out what it takes to make the pieces work one by one. That will give you a better foundation for deciding how to put everything together.

guitarmods

Post by guitarmods »

good thought, ive been working w/ the raspi sionce it was released, although I have 3 zeros and havent used any of them

2 I bought just because thy were in such short supply for so long that when they came available it was silly to only get one

now the W I definately have a plan for the W, matter of fact Ive been collecting parts for it since before the W came out (and no its not for the MP3 player, although I have been thinking long and hard about that)

Jeffhucik

Post by Jeffhucik »

Im sorry I’m posting on someone else’s topic. First post here. Can’t figure how to post a new topic... I have an old arduino duemilanove from 2010 and trying to save a few bucks and figure out if the MP3 sheild will work with it cause I have one laying around. Any idea? It’s not lises as compatible but wanted to make sure..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”