how to use 2 adafruit shields on one arduino.

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mayur_yadav

how to use 2 adafruit shields on one arduino.

Post by mayur_yadav »

I am trying to make a 3 axis cnc mill. for that i need 3 steppers to run at the same time and a single shield supports a maximum of 2 steppers. so is there any way of using 2 motor shields at the same time. i am using motor shield v 1.0 .

adafruit_support_bill

Re: how to use 2 adafruit shields on one arduino.

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

is there any way of using 2 motor shields at the same time. i am using motor shield v 1.0 .
No. Not with the 1.0 shield. The V2 shield supports stacking.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mot ... ng-shields

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The short answer is no, you can't run two of them.
The long answer is... maybe. You would have to cut traces and jumper the control pins on the second one to unused pins, and you would have to modify the AFMotor library to support the alternate set of pins.

You'd be better off with the Motor Shield V2, which is controlled via I2C, and you can easily stack them.

mayur_yadav

Post by mayur_yadav »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:The short answer is no, you can't run two of them.
The long answer is... maybe. You would have to cut traces and jumper the control pins on the second one to unused pins, and you would have to modify the AFMotor library to support the alternate set of pins.

You'd be better off with the Motor Shield V2, which is controlled via I2C, and you can easily stack them.
actually the v2.0 shields costs around 6 times the cost of v1.0 shields and i wanted my project to be under budget.
also the v1.0 are easily available near me so i decided to use that.

can you confirm the method mentioned on the blog (link below) if it will work or not.
please !!

http://blog.workingsi.com/2011/03/metho ... -from.html

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We discontinued manufacturing the V1 shield several years ago. There are numerous copies out there based on the original schematics. The tutorial you linked appears to be using genuine Adafruit boards, so if your shields are faithful to the original design, then it will probably work.

mayur_yadav

Post by mayur_yadav »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:We discontinued manufacturing the V1 shield several years ago. There are numerous copies out there based on the original schematics. The tutorial you linked appears to be using genuine Adafruit boards, so if your shields are faithful to the original design, then it will probably work.
Thank you so much for your time !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”