Increase Stepper Motor RPM with Motor Shield v2.3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Increase Stepper Motor RPM with Motor Shield v2.3

by bryanchoate on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi,

I recently purchased an Arduino Uno, Adafruit Motor Shield v2.3 and Adafruit NEMA-17 Stepper Motor (324). I have begun experimenting with it but noticed that it taps out around 60 RPMs. Can you provide any recommendations on how to increase the RPM of the motor? I have noticed that incorporating microstepping / Pulse Width Modulation might help achieve this but I am not sure how to implement it. Any suggestions or sample code would be extremely helpful.

Also, I notice that the motor vibrates a lot more when a 12V DC power supply is plugged into the barrel jack of the Arduino as opposed to the USB cable. I was wondering if you had any insights into why this might be?

Thanks,
Bryan

bryanchoate

Re: Increase Stepper Motor RPM with Motor Shield v2.3

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 pm

... noticed that it taps out around 60 RPMs.

This thread explains the nature of the limitation and some ways to increase the maximum achievable step rate: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=57041&p=292119

Also, I notice that the motor vibrates a lot more when a 12V DC power supply is plugged into the barrel jack of the Arduino as opposed to the USB cable. I was wondering if you had any insights into why this might be?

How are you powering the motor when plugged into USB?

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.