Cannot update firmware new Winc1500 WiFi shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bcoulter40

Cannot update firmware new Winc1500 WiFi shield

Post by bcoulter40 »

I received my order for a Winc1500 WiFi shield (253274851104) about two weeks ago. After installing headers I tested the device with an Arduino Mega using IDE version 1.8.5. I used the library WiFi101.h as suggested in the literature. The shield appeared to work with Examples/Wifi101/WiFiSSLClient using my SSID and Password. It reported "Connected to wifi" but it did not seem to be able to connect to my server by using the command "client.connect(server, 80)" . I tried again with a brand new Mega with the same result. I consulted various forums and was advised to check the firmware. This I did with the WiFi101 example sketch "CheckWiFi101firmwareVersion. The sketch gave the result "NOT PASSED" with the warning "The firmware version on the shield does not match the version required by the library, you may experience issues or failures."

I attempted to update the firmware using the tool WiFi101 Firmware Updater. It appeared to work; on pressing the "Test Connection" button it reported "The programmer is working" (pic 1) but when I pressed the "Update Firmware" button it went about half way through and stopped with the message "Error while writing flash memory" (Pic 2). I tried several times then tried other Mega boards and even tried with an Uno board.

I can progress no further. Since the unsuccessful firmware update the shield is no longer recognised in sketches that previously worked with it (Pic 3). I can do no more testing. I need a new shield; preferably one which has the firmware already updated.

Here are the screen grabs illustrating my problems.
Attachments
WiFi programmer1.jpg
WiFi programmer1.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 675 times
WiFi programmer2.jpg
WiFi programmer2.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 675 times
CheckWiFi101FirmwareVersion.JPG
CheckWiFi101FirmwareVersion.JPG (116.72 KiB) Viewed 675 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Cannot update firmware new Winc1500 WiFi shield

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Hello. Sorry for the delay in responding.
I tried several times then tried other Mega boards and even tried with an Uno board.
Could you please post a photo of your setup showing how your are using the shield.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you dont by chance have an arduino zero or m0 do you? thats the chipset this shield is most-used-with

bcoulter40

Post by bcoulter40 »

I don't have a zero to try it with. However it appeared to be functioning until I followed its advice to update the firmware and that stopped halfway with a notice that there was an error with flash memory. After that it had been "bricked".

bcoulter40

Post by bcoulter40 »

adafruit2 wrote:you dont by chance have an arduino zero or m0 do you? thats the chipset this shield is most-used-with
I tested the board with both Uno and Mega boards in the absence of any other circuitry. There seems to be a problem with the Winc1500 in that the firmware updating stopped with the message "Error while writing flash memory". Anyway, here is a picture as requested.
Attachments
Winc1500.jpg
Winc1500.jpg (141.32 KiB) Viewed 514 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok not sure what happened! soldering looks good, but we can replace it. email support@adafruit and ask for a new shield :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”