Data logger shield/timestamp
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Data logger shield/timestamp

by bps on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Well, then, I'll give it another go.

bps

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:10 pm

You might want to consider one of our Feather Adalogger boards. These have a processor, SD adapter and RTC all on the same board:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2795
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2796

adafruit_support_bill

by adafruit2 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:19 pm

the RTC wings only use the PCF tho :/

adafruit2
Site Admin

by bps on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 am

I'm not sure what the last comment meant. I have a feather datalogger. The problem is that I need the UNO form factor. It's part of another project which I did not design.

bps

by bps on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:25 pm

OK, in the past, just so you know, I have often been tasked with a sort of beta testing for things, both hardware and software, because I can find really bizarre problems. Here's the latest. At about 3am, I said to myself "I wonder if these shields will work with my other computer?" I downloaded the latest Arduino IDE, loaded up the RTC library and plopped both shields (one at a time) on the UNO that I had initially used. The replacement shield printed out the correct time after I had changed the baud rate and uncommented a line of code. The initial shield printed out the incorrect date and time. Even after I had "manually" set the date and time and uploaded the sketch to the original board, it didn't work. For what it's worth, the initial comment in the sketch says that is developed for a 1307 board.

I don't understand why the replacement shied works with one machine (my desktop) but not the other (my laptop). Admittedly, the laptop is a bit beat but both use WINDOWS 7 and, with the exception of the amount of RAM are configured similarly. Any thoughts?

So, I now have a working data logging shield. I still want another one so I'll just go ahead and order one. Thanks for your help.

bps

by bps on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I just reran the sketch and nothing prints out. OK, I'm a wits end. To help be look for a shrink's phone number, the original shield seems to actually be working. It's still printing out the 2165 message. I hardcoded the date and it is still saying that it is the same date and time. Even though I compiled with the rtc.adjust(DateTime(F(__DATE__), F(__TIME__))); line unchecked and I asked the Serial Monitor to include time stamps which it is doing, the data and time do not change. Once again, the replacement board prints out nothing except the word "Hello" which I inserted after Serial.begin(). I just ran the i2c scanner on both boards. It actually said that the original board had no i2c device. On the replacement board, it just stalled. What does that mean?

bps

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Stalling and returning the "2165" date/time readings are both symptoms of i2c communication problems. We've already verified the connections on the shield itself. Check to make sure that the shield is fully seated on the Arduino with the header pins pressed all the way in.

adafruit_support_bill

by bps on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:05 pm

The second shield was the one that was verified. The first one prints out the 2165 message. Why would they stop printing messages?

bps

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:52 pm

As I said earlier, stalling and returning the "2165" date/time readings are both symptoms of i2c communication problems. This would be consistent with the intermittent nature of the problem. From what we can see, there are no issues with the assembly of the shield. At this point, all we can offer is a refund for your purchase of the shield. If you contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread they can take care of that for you.

adafruit_support_bill

by bps on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:22 am

I'll take the refund. Since I want to buy other stuff from you, do you send it back to my Visa card or put it into my account or what?

bps

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 am

I believe you can choose store credit or a refund to your credit card if it is within 30 days. If you contact support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread they can explain the process.

https://www.adafruit.com/shippinginfo/

adafruit_support_bill

by johndal on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:14 pm

I am having the same problem, and have tried everything in this thread, and others.
Date is displayed and logged as 2165.
Have you come up with a solution yet? I really would like to get this thing working.

I purchased the shield in December of 2018 from Amazon. Seller was: Easytransactions
I am using an UNO R3 from Amazon. Seller was: ELEGOO

John

johndal

by adafruit2 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm

john, please start a new thread :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.