Stepper motor with more torque

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryohunting

Stepper motor with more torque

Post by ryohunting »

Hi everyone,

I want to use a stepper motor to drive a paddle but the motor keeps stalling... I currently have an Arduino uno, Arduino motor shield v2.3, and a NEMA-17 12V 250mA stepper motor. I think the problem is that the stepper motor does not have enough torque. Adafruit says the motor shield can handle motors up to 1.2 A so I think if I get a new stepper motor I should be okay.

I found one on Grainger however the motor has 6 wires instead of the 4 that I am used to. Does anyone know if this will work with the adafruit motor shield? How am I supposed to wire it if there are only 5 ports on the motor shield? If this does not work, does anyone have any recommendations?

In case the link does not work, the motor is "AUTONICS 2 Phase,NEMA 17 / 42mm Frame Stepper Motor,Solid Motor Shaft Design,1.2 Amps Per Phase"

Thank you!

https://www.grainger.com/product/5PFF2? ... SYQAvD_BwE

mcd8604

Re: Stepper motor with more torque

Post by mcd8604 »

I'm still new to this stuff too, but I think I can answer this. That new motor that you linked has a 2.8 ohm resistance. I think if you run it more than 3.36V, it will pull more current than would be safe (V = IR). Since the motor shield recommends 5V to 12V, I wouldn't run this motor with the shield. You might need a chopper driver like the drv8833 instead so that it can run at higher voltage without worrying about excess current.

ryohunting

Post by ryohunting »

Thanks for your reply mcd.

So if this motor will not work, can you, or anyone else, recommend a motor (ideally NEMA17) that is compatible with the adafruit motorshield v2 that also has more torque than the one sold on the adafruit website?

xl97

Post by xl97 »

maybe one like this would work for you:

https://openbuildspartstore.com/nema-17-stepper-motor/

(although maybe a bit more pricey than other places?)

ryohunting

Post by ryohunting »

Thanks for the suggestion but the motor you posted has a peak current of 1.68 Amps. Since the adafruit motor shield only goes up to 1.2 Amps wouldn't this be a problem...? Please let me know if you have other suggestions.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”