APDE9960 Gesture Sensor Not Recognizing Gestures
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

APDE9960 Gesture Sensor Not Recognizing Gestures

by qbgroup on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi everyone - Happy New Year
I finally got around to installing the gesture sensor in a project and I find that the example sketch does not recognize gestures!

a) The Color sensor works fine,
b) The proximity sensor sketch recognizes items as long as they are one inch or closer; the numeric value will go from 255 (touching) down to 176 approx. 1 inch away.
I also noticed that Wire.h MUST be the first library to be included by the way, as others have noted.
c) I have tried with room lights on and off - no difference

- Using IDE 1.6.5
- Running on 5v

The sensor has been in the original Adafruit pink bag packaging (for several years) and only removed and wired up today.

Does anybody have a suggestion or idea why the sensor appears not to repond to gestures?

Many Thanks

qbgroup

Re: APDE9960 Gesture Sensor Not Recognizing Gestures

by franklin97355 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm

I'd start by updating to the latest version of the IDE. Which example are you running and how are you connecting things together?

franklin97355

by oesterle on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi, qbgroup!

Happy New Year to you, too!

I think you're asking about the Adafruit APDS9960 Proximity, Light, RGB, and Gesture Sensor.

Which version of the Adafruit_APDS9960 library do you have installed? (In the Arduino IDE, I find this in Tools > Manage Libraries.)

I'm assuming you're running the example gesture_sensor.ino sketch. What do you see in the Serial Monitor as it starts up and runs, and when you gesture 3" to 4" above the sensor?

The Load Gesture Sensor Example section of the product tutorial shows what should be happening.

Can you also post a very close-up, sharp photo of the sensor? (800x600 works well.) I'm wondering if maybe there's a bit of dust or something that may be causing the issue.

Finally, what MCU are you connecting to, and what voltage are you powering the sensor with? A photo of your wiring might help as well.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

by qbgroup on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi Eric - great questions:

The 1.6.5 IDE does not have a tools->manage feature, but the library.properies file in the master.zip file identifies the version a 1.0.5.

I am trying to run the script on an origional Arduino Uno (SMD R2).

When the script starts the message "Sensor Device initialized is displayed in the monitor".

I too thought about dirt or haze on the sensor and IR source so I cleaned them with a 70% isopropyl swab and inspected with a set of magnifying glasses and they appear clear. I hope the photo has enough clarity.

magnified sensor.jpg
magnified sensor.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 97 times

Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

Cheers

Hank

qbgroup

by oesterle on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

You could try upgrading your Arduino IDE v1.8.8, the most current version. It may not solve your current problem, but it will help avoid others. You could always reinstall v1.6.5 if needed. That version is over 3 years old as of this writing.

If that doesn't do it, I would consider buying another of that breakout.

I'm assuming wiring isn't an issue, since you're getting proximity readings, but could you post a pic of your wiring just in case?

oesterle

by qbgroup on Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi Eric
Attached is a scaled down photo or the wiring. Red and Black are power, White is the interrupt, and Green (might look black in the picture) and Yellow are SDA and SCL. Wires moved a bit when I composed the photo - they were in quite securely when I ran the three scrips.

I am receiving a new Arduino (R3) Saturday, and I will also run the example code on machine that is running 1.8.5 and see what happens and I will let you know. It is 10:15p EST so I will likely have a partial reply in 12 hours - depending when the R3 arrives.

BTW the reason I have been staying with 1.6.5 is that I seem to have written C code that does not compile on the later IDEs. I am an APL, VB, and Node.JS coder so I do not have enough experience, or patience to learn to fix the compile errors. :-(

Anyway have a good night.

Hank

Wiring-small.jpg
Wiring-small.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 87 times

qbgroup

by qbgroup on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi Eric and thank you again..

I installed the 1.8.8 IDE and when the new R3 arrived I downloaded and installed both the Adafruit and Sparkfun APDS-9660 libraries. True to form I received compile warnings on the Adafruit libraries and even though the applications uploaded they did not work.

I had much better success installing and compiling the SparkFun .cpp and ,h libraries. Interestingly, the only app that worked correctly is the proximity sensor - I received readings from 0 to 255. Unfortunately the gesture app did not work at all. Searching the interweb I found many other people also not being successful with the gesture sensor, and several suggested changes to the pre-configured sensitivity settings in the .h file. None worked.

At this point I believe I have spent far too many hours (as have you) trying to get a < $10 part to work. In consulting-speak my realization is pennies on the hour. I suspect the sensor chip is not working properly, so I will order another chip.

It will take a few days, and when the new chip arrives I will post a final success/failure message.

Thanks to all.

qbgroup

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.