Will Motor Shield support NEMA14 +NEMA17
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Will Motor Shield support NEMA14 +NEMA17

by vwaterson on Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Because of the load, I need to lift vertically I want to use a NEMA14 at the top and a NEMA17 at the bottom of the same shaft using 12vDC. Can I wire both motors into one of the two motor controllers (each motor wired reverse of the other) or do I need to place one motor on each controller because of the max current at start up on each motor? If I use the 2 controller ports on the shield can I drive them simultaneously so that both motors are in sync?

Thanks

vwaterson

Re: Will Motor Shield support NEMA14 +NEMA17

by franklin97355 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:52 pm

NEMA numbers specify the physical size of the motor and not it's electrical characteristics. I don't think putting two motors on the same shaft is a good solution. Perhaps gearing the motor or using a motor with more torque.

franklin97355

Re: Will Motor Shield support NEMA14 +NEMA17

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Doubling up motors on the same shaft requires that the motor movement is perfectly synched. This is difficult to do with the motor shield since the i2c command interface is serial by nature. Typically, dual drive systems synch the motors by physically wiring two dual bridges in parallel.

Electrical compatibility between motor and driver is another issue. As Franklin says, the NEMA number is a frame-size designation. It only tells us where to drill the holes for the mounting bolts. You need to know the electrical specifications of the motor to match it to an appropriate controller.

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-st ... he-stepper

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.