Motor Shield V2.3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Motor Shield V2.3

by tannenba on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Ok, Got the second one and had it up and running. Two days later, it stopped answering on the I2C buss just like the last one. Poor quality on the PCA9685? When running, this is a great product, but expensive (with the shipping) and not rugged enough. Was using it for an automated N scale train layout. Spent about an hour with aux components on the proto section for nothing. Going back back to the L298 shield for this since it still runs and is more rugged. Wanted to use the Adafruit stuff because it's made in USA, but very disappointed. Will probably stick to the cheaper Chinese stuff.

tannenba

Re: Motor Shield V2.3

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:44 pm

If you post some clear photos of the top and bottom of the shield, we'll take a look. This is one of our most popular boards and virtually all failures we have seen in the field are due to overloads on the TB6612 drivers. PCA9685 failures are all but unheard of on this board or any of the PCA9685 based boards we sell.

adafruit_support_bill

by tannenba on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:41 pm

using a scope, I verified clks ok, but sda not answering. Also the I2C_scanner program hangs with no answer. Already turned the useless board into a proto shield for the controls to an arduino motor shield the adafruit ones were to replace. Seriously doubt that my n scale loco's could overload the mosfet's. Will actually run with a bare h-bridge chip (SN754410) with no transistors or other circuitry. Very disappointed with Adafruit. With the shipping costs and the wait to get it, better to order Chinese boards from Amazon and get it in two days. They at least are cheap enough where if something goes wrong, throw it away and order another. Two of yours ($50) was too much for scrap.

tannenba

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:17 am

Seriously doubt that my n scale loco's could overload the mosfet's.

You are correct, that is unlikely. But even an overloaded driver chip would not affect communication with the PCA9685.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.