Shield stopped working after using Power Terminal Block
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Shield stopped working after using Power Terminal Block

by kc_123 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 am

Hello,

I have 3 shield v2 motor drivers with heatsinks attached for my Arduino UNO. I have been wanting to power 6 28BYJ-48 5V DC stepper motors all at the one time.
I checked each shield to see if it was functioning and they all were functioning as they should by using the testing examples found within the Adafruit shield library.
I ID'd my shields and started to stack one on top of the other. They all have the VIN Jumper pins attached. I have not used the VIN jumper pins at all.
I powered my Arduino and the shields using a USB cable from my laptop and DC outlet from my socket with 9V and 1A output plugged into both the USB ports and the DC jack on the Arduino.
When I had 2 shields running on top of my Arduino, and 4 stepper motors and a servo attached, it was low on power with the method I was using (using both DC and USB ports) and they worked.
When I had 3 shields running on top of my Arduino, 6 stepper motors and one servo, but using both ports on my Arduino did not power them all. I decided to split the power supply as suggested on the page for the Adafruit Shield motor, using one supply for logic and the other for the motor shield itself.
I continued to use the USB port and plugged in the DC outlet from my socket with 12V and 2A output into the power terminal on the bottom shield.
They powered all the shields (and my Arduino lit up when I didn't have the USB plugged in) and it worked sufficiently. But only for the middle and top shield. The bottom shield did not control the steppers attached to it. The LED was lit up brightly on all of the shields. The servo also worked that was attached to the top shield.
I changed the DC outlet back to the 9V and 1A output and even though it ran on a little smaller power supply, the top and middle shield ran the motors, but not the bottom one.
I then switched from using the bottom shield's power terminal to the top shields power terminal and still had the same problem.
I checked it is was the steppers themselves that weren't working on the bottom shield, but they both work fine.
I un-stacked my shields, used only the USB port and ran the Stepper Test example from the library on the bottom shield and it still didn't work. The LED was brightly shining and a servo attached to it was working, but not the steppers. Even after plugging in a DC 9v output outlet again into the DC port on my Arduino, and using its power terminal. Both the steppers are stone cold and the messages that appear in the Serial Monitor appear as they should.

Can anyone help? Did I just fry the shield? Do I have to remove the VIN Jumper pins? Is there something I'm missing?
Kind regards,
KC

Edit: Question, what can you use all the empty pin holes in the middle for? Couldn't quite understand it from the page.

kc_123

Re: Shield stopped working after using Power Terminal Block

by kc_123 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 am

I ran a i2c scanner test (https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner/) on the shield and it didn't recognise the shield.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Scanning...
No I2C devices found

when I ran the test on the shield stacked on top of another shield, it was found with the ID 0x70 opposed to the standard 0x60

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Scanning...
I2C device found at address 0x61 !
I2C device found at address 0x70 !
done

when I tried to run a stepper test with the shield ID being 0x70, nothing happened.

is there a way I can fix this?

kc_123

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.