nxp precision 9Dof Breakout BUNNY tutorial missing info
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

nxp precision 9Dof Breakout BUNNY tutorial missing info

by enixon on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:54 am

I purchased a 9 degrees of nxp precision 9Dof Breakout board from adafruit a little while a go and am working through this tutorial. (https://learn.adafruit.com/nxp-precisio ... n-test-usb) the problem arises when I try to run the second script while the first is running. The second script is bunnyrotate_ahrs_fusion_usb.pde and while I'm not an expert in java, I'm pretty sure this script is written in Java, not c++ as the first one is. I get a "'import' does not name a type" error when trying to run it. From some googling, arduino is expecting c++ not Java. The screen shot of the bunny script opened in an arduino idle shows a drop down menu in the top right of the window with the word 'java' selected, suggesting this is some kind of special idle. My idle is a fresh install from arduino's web site and I have no such drop down.

I know it's difficult to write tutorials that everyone can follow but, it appears as if some fundamental piece of info has been left out of this tutorial. If it's a java application why not at least mention it? Secondly, where do I get an idle that runs java code? A quick google turns up nothing.

What am I missing?

Respectfully
elliot
enixon

Re: nxp precision 9Dof Breakout BUNNY tutorial missing info

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 pm

bunnyrotate_ahrs_fusion_usb.pde is a Processing sketch, not an Arduino sketch. See here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/nxp-precisio ... -data-6-10

adafruit_support_carter

by enixon on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Ok, Yes I got it downloaded and installed. The processing idle looks remarkably similar. Perhaps only a few words explaining what processing is would be useful to include. Thank you for your help.
enixon

by enixon on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Ok, Updating the situation for people coming after me. Yes I got it downloaded and installed. The processing idle looks remarkably similar. Perhaps only a few words explaining what processing is would be useful to include. Also, the code is written in processing 2 but since one of the libraries is only for java 1.7 or greater, I had to run it in processing 3.

The soilta.object library is not longer in existence. The web site for it doesn't even exist but someone else on another adafruit discussion saved a copy of it here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_BN ... /OBJLoader . I then had to open the bunny rotate script, import both the bunny 3d model and the objloader.jar library with the import file menu option. Then the processing code threw an error but also giving the exact directions to change the code from version 2 to processing 3. After I made that final
change it worked.

Long story short, this tutorial is out dated. It references a library that doesn't exist and can't eaily be found and it's using processing 2 code that can no longer run and must be updated to get to work. If adafruit at all cares about this tutorial, an update is needed.

Thank you for your help.
enixon

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.