Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

LCD Shield for Uno
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LCD Shield for Uno

by John_Adler on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi-

Sorry for what is probably a newby question, but I want to add an LCD shield to my Uno. Because I’m using a lot of pins already, I’m considering the I2C shield. Adafruit offers several of these— blue & white, RGB etc. My question is, since the header pins on the shield occupy all the sockets on the Uno, where do I plug in my wires? On some shields I’ve seen female header pins on top for this purpose, but I don’t see these on the Adafruit shields.

Thank you,

John Adler

John_Adler

Re: LCD Shield for Uno

by dastels on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:37 pm

You would typically use stacking headers on all shields except the on on top. https://www.adafruit.com/product/85

Alternatively, if you can use a display breakout rather than a shield (e.g. you project is going into an enclosure with a front panel) you can *carefully* solder to the power, ground, and I2C pins on the bottom of the UNO board, or the top of whatever shield is on top.

dastels

by John_Adler on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks so much Dastels. Exactly the info I was looking for.

John_Adler

by 3nginerd on Sun May 31, 2020 7:00 pm

dastels wrote:You would typically use stacking headers on all shields except the on on top. https://www.adafruit.com/product/85

Alternatively, if you can use a display breakout rather than a shield (e.g. you project is going into an enclosure with a front panel) you can *carefully* solder to the power, ground, and I2C pins on the bottom of the UNO board, or the top of whatever shield is on top.

If all I have is an Arduino beneath this, and no other shields, is the only way to make use of any other pins to use the stacking headers with the LCD shield on top? But then that goes against your "typically" statement; would this be an exception?

3nginerd

by dastels on Sun May 31, 2020 7:03 pm

If you still want access to the pins, then yes, you would want to have stacking headers on the LCD shield as well.

Dave

dastels

by 3nginerd on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:08 pm

I think stacking headers is perhaps not the best solution; the board does not seem to be designed for this and doesn't have enough room for them in addition to your LCDs. I followed your installation instructions for the LCD shield, and it had you solder on headers before the LCD. When you get to the LCD, the holes no longer can line up with the shield because of the physical interference between LCD board and pass through headers. I was able to use the intended male headers at a severe angle between the LCD board and the shield. It doesn't rest as flat as it should, and is stressing the up button and the potentiometer.

3nginerd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.