TLC5947 playing "nice" with Music Maker shield ?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ElbyM

TLC5947 playing "nice" with Music Maker shield ?

Post by ElbyM »

I'm trying to get a project running that combines a Music Maker shield with a TLC5947 LED driver, running off an Uno. The sketch is designed to read a midi file off the SD card, send each message to the midi player, and also turn on an LED. I have the file->midi code running, and also a test sketch that turns on the LEDs. I'm using pins 5, 6, 7 for Din, Clock, and Lat respectively. I can instantiate the Adafruit_TLC5947 class in my sketch, but when I invoke the tlc.begin() method in the sketch's setup(), the SDFat.begin() fails. If I move the tlc.begin() after the SD card initialization, I get SMF Load Error 2 when trying to load the midi file. Is there a way to get these two pieces of hardware to "play nice"? Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: TLC5947 playing "nice" with Music Maker shield ?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please refer to the "Pinouts" page of the Music Maker Shield guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mus ... er/pinouts
You have pin conflicts with MCS and DCS on pins 6 and 7.

ElbyM

Post by ElbyM »

Thanks very much; that helps a lot! I'm now using pins 5, 8, and 10, which seem to be unused according to the pinout. My LED addressing is now working properly, as long as I'm not dealing with Midi (but I am reading the SD card). As soon as I add the initializer: SoftwareSerial VS1053_MIDI(0, 2); to my code, the LEDs go whacky (extra LEDs lit, wrong colors). This happens even if I don't call any methods on the SoftwareSerial object. Any thoughts? Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Please post some photos showing your soldering and connections. Also please post the code you are using.

ElbyM

Post by ElbyM »

I'm up-and-running, though not sure why. Cleaning up code to post here, I removed all debugging prints to Serial. Now all LED's blink properly and MIDI plays. Would have expected interference with the MIDI playback, not the TLC5947 !! Anyway, I'm good :) Thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Good to hear it is working for you. Thanks for the update.

mbkrueger

Post by mbkrueger »

Was the actual code ever posted?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”