Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Solder headers together for multiple 5v/Gnd pins
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Solder headers together for multiple 5v/Gnd pins

by mhump2 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:33 pm

I am using an Adafruit MotorShield v2.3 with my Arduino. In the middle of this board, is a grid of 6x19 through-holes that I think is extra space for attaching components, etc...

I have several components that all require 5v and GND connections. I had the idea to solder a couple rows of header pins, and the solder the back-sides together so they are all attached. Then I could connect the first one to the 5v/GND pins on the board and essentially have a bunch available for my components.

I'm pretty new to this, so is this a bad idea? or is there a better way to do this? I know there are breadboards, but i'm looking for something a little more permeant and compact for my project. And neater than just twisting all the wire leads together.

Thanks,
-M

mhump2

Re: Solder headers together for multiple 5v/Gnd pins

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:52 pm

No issues with that. It is a perfectly reasonable use for the prototyping grid on the board.

adafruit_support_bill

by dastels on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Yes, that is a generic prototyping area for adding custom circuitry.

Connecting a row of holes to make a power bus is a very common approach, and is often done on the PCB itself (see the 3v & ground buses beside the small prototyping area on the Feather M4 Express https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather-m4-express-atsamd51/pinouts and prototyping featherwing https://www.adafruit.com/product/2884).

Dave

dastels

by mhump2 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Great - thanks for the feedback. Good to learn some new things - "Prototyping area" as opposed to "Grid of holes". Makes asking questions easier and more clear.

Thanks
-Matt

mhump2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.