Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

stepper motor speed
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

stepper motor speed

by ajdillard on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:57 am

building a fixture that will spin a flexible tube with an external wire into a stripping device - need the motor to spin at speeds above 500 r.p.m. - i am using an arduino uno w/adafruit motor shield (v2) - the posts i have been reading imply that speeds above 40 ~ 50 are not possible due to ic2 bus speed - are there other shields (or stepper drivers) that would make this possible, or is the arduino itself making this impossible? - thanx for your input - ajd

ajdillard

Re: stepper motor speed

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 pm

The step rate on the shield is limited by the speed of the i2c bus and the software required to drive it. The RPM is limited by the combination of the step rate limitation with the step count of the motor. A 7.5 degree (48 step) motor will be capable of higher RPMs than a 1.8 degree (200 step) motor.

Out of the box with the default bus speed and the #324 NEMA 17 1.8 degree motor from our store, the max speed is about 50 RPM. Higher speeds are possible with some work as described here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=57041&p=292119

But for a project that needs to run at > 500RPM, the shield is not the driver you want to use.

Do you have a specific motor in mind for this project? You will need to know the electrical properties of the motor to match it with an appropriate driver.

adafruit_support_bill

by ajdillard on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm

thanx for the quick response - will investigate motors with fewer steps/rev - currently using a automation technologies KL17H272-20-4A

2 phase/200 steps
current/phase ; 2.0A
rated voltage ; 3.2
resis./phase ; 1.6ohms

also should add since i incorporated a new 12V power supply, what was before slow motor movement is now slow with a new herky jerky action, seems like it can only move about 40 steps then it hesitates before moving the next 40

thanx again - ajd

ajdillard

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:49 pm

That motor is definitely not compatible with the shield. The jerky performance is because you are severely overloading the motor, drivers and most likely the power supply too. With a 12v supply, the motor would be trying to pull 7.5A/phase (15A total). Most likely the power supply and/or the shield are shutting down due to the overload. Continued operation like that is likely to result in damage.

For that motor, you will need a current limiting "chopper" type driver. https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-st ... he-stepper

www.pololu.com has a good range of current limiting drivers. Their new 'TIC' series of stepper controllers look particularly nice.

adafruit_support_bill

by ajdillard on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:28 pm

bill -
just ordered a tic t500 - thanx for stopping me before something a visit from the blue smoke dragon - thanx for all - ajd

ajdillard

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Let us know how the T500 works for you. I haven't had a chance to try that one out yet. But overall my experience with Pololu gear has been excellent.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.