Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Adafruit Datalogging Shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit Datalogging Shield

by NightTrain on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello:

I am getting acquainted with a recently purchased Adafruit datalogging shield using Adafruit's introductory webpages (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dat ... d/overview).
The shield is one of the newer models using the PCF8523 chip for the real time clock (rtc). I hit a roadblock running the pcf8523.ino example code that comes with the RTClib library (https://github.com/adafruit/RTClib/blob ... cf8523.ino).

I can't get the program to serial output anything other than "Couldn't find RTC". This means it is getting hung up on the rtc.begin() command. I could use some help getting my Arduino to find the rtc. Maybe an I2C issue?

I was able to solder the headers in place and mate the shield with an R3 Uno. I used a multimeter to check that all the analog, digital, and even the ICSP pins between the shield and micro-controller have a good connection. I've also checked to make sure that the watch battery wasn't dead (it had around 3.2 volts) and was installed on the shield correctly. Beyond that, I'm kind of at a loss. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Matt

NightTrain

Re: Adafruit Datalogging Shield

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:14 pm

Please post some photos showing all your soldering and connections.

adafruit_support_bill

by NightTrain on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:55 pm

pics? Sure, no problem.

IMG_3583.JPG
datalogger shield mated with arduino uno
IMG_3583.JPG (845.62 KiB) Viewed 68 times

IMG_3584b.JPG
datalogger shield mated with arduino uno
IMG_3584b.JPG (512.57 KiB) Viewed 68 times

NightTrain

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Looks like you are using a very old Arduino that does not have the R3 header pins for SDA and SCL. So you will need to solder the SDA and SCL jumpers on the bottom of the board to communicate with the RTC. You can see the jumper pads in the upper left of the image below:

adafruit_support_bill

by NightTrain on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:55 pm

IMG_E3586_smaller.jpg
solder bridge for SDA and SDC pins
IMG_E3586_smaller.jpg (831.61 KiB) Viewed 61 times

placed solder bridges on the two jumpers per the 6/19 suggestion (see pic). Tried to run the pcf8523.ino example code again, but didn't get any serial output at all this time. ... best I can tell using a few strategically placed "I'm here!" serial.println statements, it is still still getting hung up on the rtc.begin() command in setup() part of the sketch.

Removed and replace the watch battery and briefly was able to get further into the script. "RTC is NOT initialized, let's set the time!" was displayed in the Serial monitor one time. However, I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Any further ideas? Is there a I2C equivalent of "hello world" that let's me know I can talk to the RTC?

MF

NightTrain

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:15 pm

There is the i2c scanner which will scan the bus and report any devices that respond by address: https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner/

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.