Adafruit Datalogging Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Katie_UR_oceanlab

Re: Adafruit Datalogging Shield

Post by Katie_UR_oceanlab »

Should I do that and leave the board plugged in to laptop power? or just take the battery out, re-insert and immediately re-upload the code?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Unplug the board and remove the battery so that everything is completely powered down.

Katie_UR_oceanlab

Post by Katie_UR_oceanlab »

The process after I took the battery out for a minute was to validate the code with the current time, put the battery in, plugged in the board a second later, and then uploaded the code a second or 2 after that.
The day and time is now mostly correct, though it is still not following the rtc.adjust manual line (The minute is off by a couple so I tried to reset it but it didn't work).

This is improvemet. But still, the beginning portion of the code shows up as gibberish and is then followed by the time now:

x⸮~怘⸮ etc etc
time now= 2021/7/21 (Wednesday) 12:3:37
since midnight 1/1/1970 = 1626869017s = 18829d

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The time is always slightly behind since it is based on the time that the compile starts, but doesn't actually initialize the RTC until after the upload and restart are complete.

As for the gibberish, that is often a symptom of a baud-rate mismatch. But it seems to correct itself after a short time. Not sure what USB/Serial converter chip DF-Robot is using in their boards, but it may just be that it takes a little longer to initialize than the Atmega 328 MCU.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”