Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Need Support: ADA WAV SHIELD with Throat Microphone
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Need Support: ADA WAV SHIELD with Throat Microphone

by jvasilatos on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:20 pm

It would be really helpful if a tech from adafruit could help with guidance on this. I've bought multiple throat microphones I've had to return because none of them work the voice modulator I bought.

These are the specs of my voice modulator component:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wave-shield-audio-shield-for-arduino

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.48.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.48.13 AM.png (313.9 KiB) Viewed 30 times

il_fullxfull.1361573307_fkyv.jpg
il_fullxfull.1361573307_fkyv.jpg (912.55 KiB) Viewed 30 times

il_fullxfull.1458907714_1wr0.jpg
il_fullxfull.1458907714_1wr0.jpg (131.27 KiB) Viewed 30 times

The ADA mini mic works with the modulator. Throat microphones won't.

Here's one that is supposed to be designed for modulators:

https://ixradio.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=52

I am able to confirm that the XVTM822D-D35 throat microphone DOES work very well. A Tascam Digital Recorder registered it.

But the modulator won't.

I then connected the small ADA microphone that came with the modulator to perform the same recording test with the TASCAM.

The TASCAM picked up NO signal to record.

So if I can assess this properly, it appears that the ADA WAV SHIELD voice modulator I purchased on Etsy works only with microphones that are not recording microphones, otherwise the microphone that came with it should have been able to send a signal into the TASCAM for recording.

I have corresponded with the manufacturer of the throat microphone, and this is as far as we've been able to troubleshooted:

1) First of all, you have confirm that our throat microphone work and not defective. This is most important of all before you proceed to work on integrating with other devices.

Yes.

2) In you previous mail, you also confirm that the voice modulator mic does not produce any signal when testing with TASCAM

Correct.

3) With the same testing using TASCAM, I expect the signal will be much stronger then testing with throat mic. It should not be zero signal.

Yes the throat microphone produced a very strong signal. The electret capsule microphone sent zero signal. The TASCAM did not register any signal from it.

4) Based on the above I suspect the pin configuration for the voice modulator is not based on standard TRS configuration. It might be difference for proprietary reason.

I am not a technician so I don’t understand if it is or it isn’t since I didn’t build it.

5) If you have 3.5mm connector, you can cut out to verify. Just swap the Tip with Ring, and Sleeve with Ring

So you are recommending I cut the 3.5 connector on the throat microphone and swap the two wires and re-solder to reproduce the TRS configuration to match the electret capsule microphone?

My only option to change anything is with the microphones. I do not understand nor have any experience to change the pin configuration inside the device without potentially disabling it.

6) The other things, you also need to take note that the modulator might need a minimum sensitivity (sound intensity) to activate the modulator, similar to VOX mode for two way radio.

Given how clear the throat microphone recording was with the phantom power I think that there is enough sound intensity.

7) As you know, throat microphone will never generate the same level of signal as compared to open mic (via air). So if higher sensitivity is needed to activate the modulator. You will need a pre-amplifier for the throat mic to use with the modulator.

Where where do I find a miniature pre-amplifier to connect the throat microphone to bridge with the modulator input?

8) I strongly believe you need to check on No. 4.

Since the seller has disappeared I don’t know how I can confirm this one way or the other.

9) I come a across some app that use your phone to do voice changer, and it is pretty good.

You just need a splitter cable to connect with our throat microphone.

You can have some understanding based on the following link:
https://ixradio.com/shop/index.php?rout ... duct_id=64

That’s not an option. This modulator is custom built to fit inside the utility belt box for a Batman suit and the modulator is programmed to sound like Ben Affleck’s voice from the movie. This is why I need a throat microphone to wear under the mask because the electret capsule microphone is better suited for a helmet not this open face cowl.

No more advice after that on if the throat microphone seller had other microphones that might work.

So is this a proprietary incompatibility as to why no other plug-in microphones will work with these ADA WAV modules?

If this is not a proprietary issue, can anyone guide me to the right kind of throat microphone that will work?

jvasilatos

Re: Need Support: ADA WAV SHIELD with Throat Microphone

by jvasilatos on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Northing?

jvasilatos

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.