Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PowerBoost Shield 500
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: PowerBoost Shield 500

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:36 pm

So it sounds like your battery is fine and nearly at full charge.

The 5v pin on the shield should be directly connected to the 5v pin on the Arduino. So if you are seeing less than 1v with USB connected to the Arduino, your Arduino should not be running. Is that the case?

adafruit_support_bill

by Crentist on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:52 pm

That's the strangest thing, it is running. it reads 0.83v across the shield gnd and 5v pins but the arduino itself is running underneath. If I take the shield off I get the proper 5v on arduino gnd and 5v pins. I'm no expert, but it seems that something on the shield is draining/bridged or otherwise messing with the arduino's normal current.

The only thing I did today is use a flux-remover pen to clean up my solder joints. I can't see how that could harm anything but this is my second shield in a week so either I'm extremely unlucky or I'm doing something wrong.

Can you tell me where the shield fuse is located? I would like to try and test voltage across it to see if it's blown somehow.

Crentist

by Crentist on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 pm

Also, with the shield power switch set to off, everything but battery unplugged I'm actually seeing 0.23v. That seems odd, why would it draw current when off?

Crentist

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:00 pm

it reads 0.83v across the shield gnd and 5v pins but the arduino itself is running underneath.

Where exactly are you measuring on the shield? The 5v header pin plugs directly into the Arduino 5v header. So unless the pin is broken or the Arduino header contacts are shot, it should measure exactly the same.

it seems that something on the shield is draining/bridged or otherwise messing with the arduino's normal current.

If that were the case, the Arduino would not be running. The Arduino cannot function on < 1v.

Also, with the shield power switch set to off, everything but battery unplugged I'm actually seeing 0.23v. That seems odd, why would it draw current when off?

You don't say where you are taking that measurement from. But voltage is not the same thing as current.

adafruit_support_bill

by Crentist on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:21 pm

All my measurements were on the GND & 5v pins on the shield. I misspoke when I said "current:", should have said voltage. However what I said before was true, if you measure those pins you see < 1v with shield on. I'll try and take a video.

Crentist

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:33 pm

An unconnected circuit will 'float' and may show some random voltage on a meter. But since it is disconnected, no current can flow.

If you are seeing less that 1v between GND and 5v with the shield installed and the Arduino actually running, there must be a disconnect on either the +5v or GND. Since there are 3 GND pins and all are connected to the same ground plane, it is unlikely that all 3 pins are bad. The most likely suspect would be the 5v pin.

adafruit_support_bill

by Crentist on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:42 pm

So you're saying to re-solder the 5v pin?

Crentist

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:24 am

It doesn't sound like a solder problem. Even without any solder, the stacking header pin you are using should have the same voltage as the corresponding pin on the Arduino.

If the Arduino pin has 5v on it and the pin that is plugged into it does not, then the contacts inside one or the other must be damaged.

adafruit_support_bill

by Crentist on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:54 pm

I had a second arduino laying around and decided to try the shield on that one, it worked and the arduino's green light when on from the shield and battery alone. Not sure what to make of this, something is clearly damaged on the first, I'll try and replace the power headers but at least it doesn't appear to be the shield's fault, thanks for your help.

On another note, but still relating to this shield. Do you know if it's possible to connect this QI wireless charger directly to the shield's charger? In the walk-through on that product it uses a standalone charger like this one instead of the shield so I'm not sure how to translate the instructions to my situation.

Crentist

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm

The Qi charger should work with the shield. Both the PowerBoost shield and the Micro LiPo charger in the demo use the same MCP73831 charge controller chip.

adafruit_support_bill

by Crentist on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:12 pm

That's good to know! I'm still unsure of how, in this video (timestamped to 9:30) she says you can't plug directly into a lipo and routes the QI to her charger, which then outputs to the battery.

In my case, I can solder wires from my QI, but how do I get those wires into the shield's charger so they can be safely be directed into the battery?

Here's a screenshot from the video that explains what I'm asking: https://imgur.com/l94nTVm, assuming I correctly labelled the components in that picture, which leads on my shield does the QI get wired into?

Crentist

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:27 pm

The mico-lipo charger has breakout holes on the side of the board for USB power. Unfortunately, the shield does not. But you could splice the Qi wires to a USB Micro cable and plug it into the jack on the shield.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.