Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Motor shield v2 - parallel wiring to double current?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Motor shield v2 - parallel wiring to double current?

by ottensmeyer on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm

I found the response regarding the motor shield v1 from about 10 years ago already, wondering if the v2 answer is essentially the same.

With the motor shield v2 (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1438) can I wire the m1/m2 and m3/m4 terminals in parallel to power a single stepper motor that draws more than 1.2A per winding. Does the library support operation like this, or would I end up shorting from one set of terminals to the other during part of the step sequencing? The libraries and examples appear to indicate that running one motor from each side at the same time would have them alternating steps rather than stepping simultaneously.

Figured I'd look into whether my existing hardware will support that before buying something heftier.

Thanks very much
Mark

ottensmeyer

Re: Motor shield v2 - parallel wiring to double current?

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:16 pm

It would not be practical to do with the V2 shield. First, there is no library support for it. But even hacking the library, the extra overhead required to avoid shoot-through would seriously limit your max step-rate.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor shield v2 - parallel wiring to double current?

by ottensmeyer on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks very much!

ottensmeyer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.