Low audio output featherwinvg w/ amp
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Low audio output featherwinvg w/ amp

by theatrewonk on Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:04 pm

I have a feathwing audio with amp on my Adalogger feather MO. I get very low audio volume out with the example player, regardless of the volume setting. I get no output on the left channel at all. (This may be a separate problem.) Everything is functional. I see the directory of the SD card, and the sounds play, just softly. I have an 8 ohm speaker, and a 4 ohm surface transduce (Adafruit). I’m using USB power, which doesn’t seem to be the limiting factor.

There are several closed posts about the low-volume problem, but no real resolution. They say it sometimes works after a sleep. I’m sure my audio has both tracks, and also has full volume. I’m playing MP3 files, but get he same result with WAV files.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

theatrewonk

Re: Low audio output featherwinvg w/ amp

by theatrewonk on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm

I believe I have a defective part, because one channel is dead. I’ve checked for cold solder joints, and don’t know anything else that might cause no output on that channel. I’m playing stereo sound, and I’ve checked the output terminals with a multimeter. I’ve also connected the speaker that works to the other channel with no joy.

Nor have I not gotten a forum response about the low volume output. While I could get by with one channel for this application, I need the amp to provide reasonable volume.

I request the return of the audio shield for a store credit. I will probably have to change processor boards for the project, and switch to I2S for my audio if I cannot get the shield to work with a speaker.

Thanks,

Dick

theatrewonk

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Hey - Sorry for not responding to this until now.

It would be worth seeing what the current state of the hardware is. Can you please post a photo of your setup so we can look for anything obviously wrong with the hardware.

adafruit_support_carter

by theatrewonk on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:07 pm

As requested, here are some photos.
IMG_1831.jpg
IMG_1831.jpg (123.2 KiB) Viewed 142 times

IMG_1830 (1).jpg
IMG_1830 (1).jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 142 times

IMG_1829 (1).jpg
IMG_1829 (1).jpg (67.62 KiB) Viewed 142 times

I don't think I have any cold solder joints. I reheated the contacts on the speaker outputs, just to be sure. I've tried the same speaker on both outputs, and get sound only from one. The source is stereo. I've also tried the test program which outputs a sine wave. The volume is extremely low.

theatrewonk

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks. Agree that it looks generally OK. We can send you a replacement Music Maker Feather Wing to try if you want. But you are also saying it is not loud enough. I wouldn't expect the surface mount transducer to be very loud. But the 8ohm speaker *should* be generally OK. If it's not in an enclosure, that may be part of it. Do you want to try a replacement Wing?

adafruit_support_carter

by theatrewonk on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks for having a look. Other people have reported the low volume, and it's very low on a small regular speaker as well as the transducer.

I've switched strategy for this project. I'm now using a QT PY and an I2S breakout/amp. So, just give me a credit or refund for the part.

I appreciate your help.

Dick

theatrewonk

by adafruit2 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:46 pm

kk could be the speaker amp got blown? unclear but you're using something else anyways so we wont debug it. email support@adafruit with a link to this thread for a refund or replacement

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.