Issue (no sound) with Wave Shield v1.1
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Issue (no sound) with Wave Shield v1.1

by north_on_mills on Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Hello,

I've been working on putting together the Wave Shield from the "Music & sound add-on pack for Arduino v1.1" (Order #: 2433598, purchased 12/10/20), but, after soldering the board, formatting the SD card, etc., I can't seem to get it to produce sound. I was wondering if someone could help me out with troubleshooting this issue--if it can be fixed I would really appreciate it!

I'm using the Wave Shield with an Arduino Uno R3, and am attempting to run the daphc sketch with the DO, RE, ... WAV files included as examples in the waveHC library. The daphc sketch runs without error, and the serial monitor just cycles through the WAV files without evidence of any issue (it just cycles through the subdir printing e.g. "PLAYING DO.WAV \n ........").

Based on my limited experience, as well as info from similar forum posts, I'm guessing this is maybe a general build error or an issue with the DAC? For the former, here are some photos of the back and front of the soldered shield:

shield_back.jpg
Bottom of wave shield
shield_back.jpg (764.66 KiB) Viewed 186 times

shield_front.jpg
Top of wave shield
shield_front.jpg (629.82 KiB) Viewed 186 times

For the DAC, following some advice from a previous post, I checked the DAC pins with an oscilloscope, and got the following all-constant values:

Pin 1 - Vdd - 5V
Pin 2 - CS - 0V
Pin 3 - SCK - 0V
Pin 4 - SDI - 0V
Pin 5 - LDAC - 0V
Pin 6 - Vref - ~5V
Pin 7 - Vss - 0V
Pin 8 - DAC - 0V

So it seems like something is up with the DAC, since I should be getting several different signals here, but maybe there's some error in the soldering that I'm not seeing that's causing it? Are there other things I should be doing to debug here? I should also note that I tried the "cheap headphone trick" and could not hear anything from either end of R7.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

north_on_mills

Re: Issue (no sound) with Wave Shield v1.1

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:00 pm

For the DAC, following some advice from a previous post, I checked the DAC pins with an oscilloscope, and got the following all-constant values:

Are the values constant when the code is running? If there are no input signals to the DAC (CS, SCK, SDI) then the problem is somewhere upstream from the DAC.

adafruit_support_bill

by north_on_mills on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response!

Yes, this was when the code was running. Do you have suggestions for good upstream targets to check out (and what to be on the lookout for in those places)?

north_on_mills

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:06 pm

The fact that the code is saying that it is playing tracks indicates that your SD card connections are good. There is not much else 'upstream' from the DAC other than the ATMEGA processor on your UNO R3. Are you measuring the signals at the DAC chip or on the associate header pins? From what we can see in your photos, the soldering looks OK.

adafruit_support_bill

by north_on_mills on Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:41 pm

I was measuring at the DAC chip. This is maybe not the most helpful photo, but here's what my probe setup looked like:

probe_setup.jpg
Checking DAC pins (clips connect via BNC to oscilloscope)
probe_setup.jpg (730 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Unfortunately I only have the one Arduino, so I wasn't able to test the wave shield on another. However--and apologies if this is a silly question--is it possible/advisable to run a diagnostic on the UNO itself? If so, do you have suggestions for how I might go about doing that?

north_on_mills

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Running on the UNO, you should at least see signals on the pins designated for the SCK and SDI. If the serial output indicates that WAV files are playing there should be clock and data signals going to the DAC.

adafruit_support_bill

by north_on_mills on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Ah, okay, so it sounds like this is potentially a measurement error on my part?

I apologize for being dense about this, but what concrete steps would you suggest I take next to continue the troubleshooting process? I can redo the oscilloscope measurements on the pins at the DAC chip (as pictured in my previous comment), but I just want to confirm that that is the course of action you're advising. If so, are there things I should be doing differently (i.e. header pins vs at the chip) or in addition to just the DAC pins? And, if not, what would be the best thing to try next?

Thanks again!

north_on_mills

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:12 pm

The basic idea is to test the signals at various points in the chain and try to identify the point of failure. The signal chain is as follows:

SPI between the UNO and the SD card. (This must be working if the serial output indicates that it is playing files).
SPI signals from the UNO to the DAC. (If you don't see clock or data signals at the chip, test at the header)
Audio signals from the DAC to the OpAmp (The 'cheap headphone trick')
Op amp output to the speaker terminals.

If you are reading the files from the SD card, I would expect you should at least see DAC signals at the UNO headers. If you are not, post some photos showing your probe connections and scope settings.

adafruit_support_bill

by north_on_mills on Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Hey, sorry about the late reply! I went in to test header pins 2-5, and all I was able to measure was some ~40mV, ~45kHz noise. However, it could easily be a problem with my probe setup, so I'm attaching photos below. In brief, I used a pair of hook clips connected via BNC to an oscilloscope, with the black clip connected to a wire in the wave shield ground, and the red clip connected to whichever header pin I was looking at (clipped in the space between the two boards).

pin03_probe_overhead.jpg
Overhead view of probe setup
pin03_probe_overhead.jpg (131.75 KiB) Viewed 139 times

pin03_probe_side.jpg
Side view of probe setup for pin 3
pin03_probe_side.jpg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 139 times

pin03_scope_zoomed_in.jpg
Oscilloscope reading from pin 3
pin03_scope_zoomed_in.jpg (97.15 KiB) Viewed 139 times

The photos above are all from the setup I used to look at pin 3, but I used an identical one to look at the pins 2-5 as well as pin 10. I confirmed from the IDE serial monitor that the daphc code was running smoothly while I measured signals from the scope. Pin 10 was sort of a control--I was able to see a digital signal there very clearly. I can attach a photo of that in a subsequent message if you'd like, but I'm currently at my attachment limit.

Is this roughly what you were suggesting? If not, how might I go about altering my setup to take useful measurements? And, if so, how do you interpret these measurements?

Thanks again!

north_on_mills

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:27 am

If you are seeing clear signals on pin 10 (the CS pin for the SD card), then your probe setup should be OK. Nothing but noise on the DAC signal pins would indicate a problem with the UNO itself. It seems unlikely that you would have 4 dead pins on an UNO. But that is where all the evidence is pointing at the moment.

To confirm, remove the Wave Shield from the UNO and write a simple program to toggle those 4 pins on and off. Then connect your scope and see if there is a square wave there - or just the noise you saw before.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.