The credit card processing service Authorize.net is currently down. Please use Paypal or Amazon Payments on check out or try back soon!

Music Maker + Grand Central
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Music Maker + Grand Central

by LinksMissing on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:22 pm

The adafruit-music-maker-shield-vs1053-mp3-wav-wave-ogg-vorbis-player.pdf manual mentions "If you're using a Mega or Leonardo Arduino, you'll need to short the jumpers on the top right of the board, and install the 2x3 socket header. This is because those Arduinos use the 2x3 pin header for the hardware-SPI pins and hardware-SPI is required for the high-speed data transfer required by the VS1053 codec. We'll cover that in the Assembly step."

Does that apply to the Grand Central as well? I assume it does, but I want to make sure before I go ahead and solder everything.

Also, I will point out that the "Assembly" section does not really mention the 2x3 header at all. It only says "If you have a Leonardo or Mega, you'll need to close the three solder jumpers next to the ISP header. This configures the shield to use the ISP header for SPI communication. Its easy! Simply melt some solder to close the three jumpers." Furthermore, another thing is that the instructions do not mention that the 2x3 header needs to be soldered in OPPOSITE the other headers. I know it should be obvious, but as a beginner, I overlooked that small detail and soldered the 2x3 header in the same way as the other headers and had to get a professional to undo the soldering.
2.JPG
Assembly Section
2.JPG (187.68 KiB) Viewed 108 times
1.JPG
SPI Section
1.JPG (179.54 KiB) Viewed 108 times

LinksMissing

Re: Music Maker + Grand Central

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:54 pm

Yes, the Grand Central's hardware SPI connections go to the 2x3 header.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.