Motor Shield V2.3 Not Working

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cromag

Motor Shield V2.3 Not Working

Post by cromag »

Headers 2
Headers 2
Headers 1 small.jpg (197.49 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Headers 2
Headers 2
I stacked an Arduino Motor Shield V2.3 to an Uno, connected the Small Reduction Stepper Motor - 5VDC - Part No 858 to M3/M4 and it ran once just fine using the example sketch - Stepper Test. The second time it ran in only one direction and in subsequent runs, not at all. I also tried on M1/M2.

The motor was powered via the Uno with the jumper installed. I tried tried a separate 5-v power supply connected to the shield with the jumper removed and no motor movement. In both cases teh power light on the shield was lit.

With the shield installed, the Uno isn't even able to send text to the serial monitor. I ran i2c scanner and the serial monitor shows "i2c scanner - Scanning..." and just sits there. I ran i2c scanner without the shield installed and it runs and shows "No i2c device found".

I also tried two different StepperOnline stepper motors that are rated 12 VDC, 0.40 amps/phase, and 30 ohms. I ran these with a 9-volt battery connected to the shield with the jumper removed resulting in some small movements the first time and then nothing. These motors run directly off the battery and draw 0.16 amps.

Photos of header soldering:
Headers 2
Headers 2
Headers 2
Headers 2
Headers 2 small.jpg (200.02 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield V2.3 Not Working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

ran i2c scanner and the serial monitor shows "i2c scanner - Scanning..." and just sits there. I ran i2c scanner without the shield installed and it runs and shows "No i2c device found".
That is a typical symptom of a marginal connection on the i2c bus. The wire library is known to hang in that situation. It may be just the lighting, but the solder joint on the SCL pin looks a bit solder starved. I'd revisit those joints and make sure that the solder has flowed well onto both the pin and the surrounding pad.

cromag

Post by cromag »

new solder
new solder
20210503_202302z.jpg (685.12 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
The solder joint at SCL actually looked good under a loupe. There were a couple of questionable ones at D0 and D1 so I went over all of them. They all looked great under loupe. Both stepper motors ran fine using an L293D (ala lesson 16). Still no movement from either stepper motors (or DC motor) using shield. i2c scanner hangs up as before. Photo shows soldering with SCL at right.

adafruit_support_bill

We can try replacing the shield. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread.

cromag

Post by cromag »

I got the replacement shield from customer support right away but I just got around to getting back to my project. The replacement shield works great. Thank you for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

God to hear that is working. Thanks for the follow-up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”