Ultimate GPS Shield 10Hz Logging

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pinhole

Ultimate GPS Shield 10Hz Logging

Post by pinhole »

Hi,

I am using the ultimate GPS shield for a data logger in my race car along with reading CAN BUS information.

I have been using the shield in the 1Hz option for a long time however the resolution is not good enough for me, I wish to increase this to the 10Hz.

I was previously using 9600 along with the TinyGPS++ library to read my data.

I have read the 'official' guides which state
You can configure the output you see by commenting/uncommenting lines in the setup() procedure. For example, we can ask the GPS to send different sentences, and change how often it sends data. 10 Hz (10 times a second) is the max speed, and is a lot of data. You may not be able to output "all data" at that speed because the 9600 baud rate is not fast enough.
It states "the 9600 baud rate is not fast enough." however I am wondering how to increase this to enable me to log at 10Hz with GGA.

I don't have any form of display currently connected, it is fit and forget for me and would like to ensure that whatever approach I choose does not hamper with the relibality of the logger.

Here is a video showing the logged data, you can see the GPS on the circuit map in the top corner which is particularly laggy, I would like to use GPS speed instead of the vehicle speed transmitted over CAN as this is not accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHaRT8gH5o

I have attached a shortned version of my sketch incase that helps.

[The extension ino has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Thanks,
Matt

pinhole

Re: Ultimate GPS Shield 10Hz Logging

Post by pinhole »

I have found the following in the Adafruit_PMTK.h file.

Code: Select all

/**
 Different commands to set the update rate from once a second (1 Hz) to 10 times
 a second (10Hz) Note that these only control the rate at which the position is
 echoed, to actually speed up the position fix you must also send one of the
 position fix rate commands below too. */
I have found the following (PMTK_SET_NMEA_UPDATE_10HZ) but cannot figure out if that is the echoing or position fix and how to do the other

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Ultimate GPS Shield 10Hz Logging

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Downloads page of the tutorial has links to the datasheets and a command reference:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ult ... /downloads

The $PMTK251 command sets the baudrate, and the $PMTK314 command controls the NMEA sentences generated as output and when they're generated.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”