Datalogger shield - SD card initialization failed.

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mjfox

Datalogger shield - SD card initialization failed.

Post by mjfox »

Hello. I hope that you can help me with an issue related to the datalogger shield.
I purchased the datalogging shield #1141 from Digikey and I am unable to initialize the SD Card. I have used the example programs under "SD" - CardInfo and Datalogger, both yield "initialization failed" errors.
The SD card was inserted properly and appears to make good contact, it is formatted, and the chip select pin was set to 10 in both programs. The SD card is new and able to be read by my desktop and laptop - the card is a Kingston 32 GB. It has been formatted twice and I have tried to make the shield work with 3 different (R3) UNOs to no avail. Photos are attached.
Please advise.
Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Pic 2 shield2.jpg
Pic 2 shield2.jpg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Pic 3 shield.jpg
Pic 3 shield.jpg (133.61 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Pic 1 shield.jpg
Pic 1 shield.jpg (286.32 KiB) Viewed 995 times

mikeysklar

Re: Datalogger shield - SD card initialization failed.

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the pics. It looks like the soldering is okay, but maybe a little more on some pins that appear to have minimal solder.

Can you try an SD Card smaller than 32GB? A lot of our devices get upset right at the 32GB+ mark and do better with smaller cards.

mjfox

Post by mjfox »

That did the trick. It reads an old 256MB FAT16 and 4GB FAT 32 just fine.
Thank you.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I'm glad that worked and also frustrated that 32GB cards are not supported. Thank you for the confirmation.

Puerlin

Post by Puerlin »

Hello,

I have just bought a new Adafruit datalogger and I am having the same problem. I bought a new 32GB SD card because the Adafruit online tutorial for the board is saying it will support 32GB cards. So now what! I just throw that away and hope a 16GB card works. Thanks Adafruit, why don't you update your tutorials so people just don't waste time and money ! (Or send me a compatible 16GB card)

Angry face :(

Puerlin

Post by Puerlin »

Ok a quick update on my Data logger shield problem. I have now bought another SD card, this time 16GB. I tried that and I am getting the same error. I have checked the continuity of each header pin to their respective pin on the Arduino UNO board and that is all ok. I have also set chipSelect = 10. It still won't initialise the SD card. I am testing it with the CardInfo example sketch.

Does anyone have any other ideas please?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@Puerlin,

Please start a new thread with a photo of your hardware setup and SD cards you have tried.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”