Interfacing K30 CO2 sensor on Adafruit data logging shield f

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
amvieillard

Interfacing K30 CO2 sensor on Adafruit data logging shield f

Post by amvieillard »

I'm trying to make a CO2 data logger using an Arduino UNO, adafruit data logging sheild (with PCF8523), and a K30 CO2 sensor.

I have set connected the arduino and the sheild, set the time and confirmed that the SD card is reading and have wired the CO2 sensor to for i2C communication per the manufacturer's instructions (found here: http://co2meters.com/Documentation/Othe ... vised8.pdf). I'm powering the sensor off of a 4x AA brick that will also power a small pump for the sensor. The pump and sensor both turn on when the power source is connected. However, when I run the code provided I get an error on the serial monitor "Checksum failed / Communication failure. When I run a i2C scanner the output shows "No I2C devices found."

I'm trying to figure out where I've gone wrong here - the only thing I've done differently from the manufacturer specs is connect to the data logging shield rather than to the arduino directly. I'm attaching a photo of my connections - any insight you can offer would be much appreciated!
Attachments
wiring.pdf
Photo of the wiring set up (sensor on the right)
(273.54 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

dastels

Re: Interfacing K30 CO2 sensor on Adafruit data logging shie

Post by dastels »

That photo doesn't really tell me much. Are ALL the grounds connected together? Have you double checked the I2C connections?

Dave

amvieillard

Post by amvieillard »

Thanks for the reply - I have checked all the connections (and yes the grounds are all connected) - I am pretty new to soldering but they look like they should work? I've attached 2 more photos for reference
Attachments
wiring3.pdf
(255.32 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
wiring2.pdf
(342.74 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

I see you are using A5/A5 for I2C. That should work on an UNO, but if it's an UNO R3 (with the additional SDA/SCL pins near the reset button (as the shield has) you're better off using those. That's make your shield forward compatible is you every want to switch to something more recent (e.g. a Metro M4) which doesn't have A4/A5 connected to SDA/SCL.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”