Stepper Motor Problem - Not Turning

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KoaMTL

Stepper Motor Problem - Not Turning

Post by KoaMTL »

Hello,

I am trying to power a bipolar stepper motor using 12V from a PC power supply using an Arduino Mega 2560 and an Adafruit Stepper Motor Shield v2. Whenever I connect the motor, I am unable to get the motor to turn regardless of how I change the code. The Arduino is able to detect the shield and I have the correct setting for the motor declaration (motor set 1 for M1 & M2). The motor driver for M1 & M2 gets extremely hot to the touch (I managed to burn myself pretty nicely when checking the first time). The motor is rated for 1.5A, but my understanding is that it should use less current when powered with 12V instead of 24V.

I would appreciate any assistance with figuring this out.

Here is the stepper motor that I am using: Moons' Industries MS17HA2P4150
https://www.moonsindustries.com/p/nema- ... 1110015918

Thank you very much for your help,

Koa

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stepper Motor Problem - Not Turning

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Here is the stepper motor that I am using: Moons' Industries MS17HA2P4150
That motor is not compatible with the shield.
The motor is rated for 1.5A, but my understanding is that it should use less current when powered with 12V instead of 24V.
The current rating is how much current the motor can handle without overheating. The actual current draw depends on the supply voltage and the phase resistance.

Your motor has a resistance of 1.98 ohms per phase. If you power it with 12v, it will attempt to draw more than 6A. That will overload both the motor and the shield.

Motors like that are designed for use with current-limiting 'chopper' type drivers.

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-st ... he-stepper

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”