Suggestions for wall adapter for Motor Shield (and 2 stepper

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
turbouser

Suggestions for wall adapter for Motor Shield (and 2 stepper

Post by turbouser »

I'm trying to put together the components below and would appreciate any help (I'm still very new to Arduino and circuits). I don't fully understand what I need in terms of volts, watts and amps. I'm planning to drive the UNO off USB power and power the motor shield directly with a wall adapter. I have no idea what I need in terms of the wall adapter. From reading other forum posts it seems like I might need a voltage limiter. Any help identifying what I need to setup the items below is appreciated.

- Adruino UNO
- Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3 PID: 1438
- Stepper motor - NEMA-17 size - 200 steps/rev, 12V 350mA PID: 324
- Mini Stepper Motor - 200 Steps - 20x30mm NEMA-8 Size PID: 4411

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Suggestions for wall adapter for Motor Shield (and 2 ste

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The motor shield is not the best match for running those two motors. Those motors have different power requirements, but the shield has only one motor power input and no current limiting.

The #324 NEMA 17 motor runs best at 9v-12v and works well with the shield or the DRV8833. You will need about 700mA at 12v or around 500 at 9v.

The #4411 NEMA-8 motor works best with a current-limiting driver like the DRV8833. That combination would work well at 9v also. You will want to set the current limiting for 600mA/phase for that motor.: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3297

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”