Stacking Motor Shield V2 and 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
benjaminmw

Stacking Motor Shield V2 and 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield

Post by benjaminmw »

Hi
I am trying to control 1 stepper and 3 servos (FS5106R continuous rotation servos). I have the Motor Shield, and also the PWM/Servo shield, and I am planning to stack them to get that 3rd servo. Actually I will put all of the servos on the PWM/servo shield, which will free up pins 9 and 10 on the Metro. I am already using almost every available pin (18 of them) for input from switches, LEDs, etc. My power supply is a 9V, 1.5A DC adapter. I have a few questions:

The PWM/Servo shield requires 2 power sources, VCC from the Arduino for logic level, and 5-6V for servo power from the V+. This is for a standalone project so I don't want to have 2 power sources to plug in every time.
Can I feed power to the V+ pin directly from the Motor Shield V2?
If so, from where?
Can I use the VIN pin on the Motor Shield or would 9V blow out the V+ pin on the PWM/Servo Shield?

Is there any specific code I need to use in order to let these two shields work together? It looks like they have distinct addresses (0x40 for the PWM/Servo shield, and 0x60 for the Motor Shield) so I don't think I need to specify their addresses, right?

Finally, is the 9V 1.5A power source enough? This is for an "elevator" so the servos open small doors and the stepper moves a box up and down.

Thank you!!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stacking Motor Shield V2 and 16-channel PWM/Servo Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can I feed power to the V+ pin directly from the Motor Shield V2?
That may be possible. But first you need to determine the volts and amps required for your motors and servos.
If so, from where?
Can I use the VIN pin on the Motor Shield or would 9V blow out the V+ pin on the PWM/Servo Shield?
9v is too much for the most servos. You could take 5v from the 5v breakout pin. But most Arduinos limit that to 500mA which is not a lot for most motors and servos.

What stepper are you planning to use?

benjaminmw

Post by benjaminmw »

Thanks for the reply!
The stepper is a NEMA 17 from Sparkfun (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9238), but I was planning to power that from the Motor Shield V2.
Step Angle (degrees) :1.8
2 Phase
Rated Voltage : 12V
Rated Current : 0.33A
Holding Torque : 2.3kg*cm
5mm Diameter Drive Shaft
Winding resistance: 32.6 Ω
Winding inductance: 48 mH
Max flux linkage: 1.8 Vs
Maximum Detent Torque: 0.016 N.M
Total inertia (kg.m.m): 3.5 Kg.m.m
Total friction (kg.m/s): 4 Kg.m/s
NEMA 17 Mounting Hole Pattern (31mm)
Motor Width: 42mm (1.67”)

The servos are 6V continuous rotation servos from Digikey (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 0/10450119)

None of these motors would be going at the same time.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That stepper needs about 660mA at 12v. It will run as low as 6v with around 330mA, but with about half as much torque.
Stepper motors current draw is independent of load and they draw maximum current when they are not moving, so you will need that power continuously,

Those CR servos will draw between 200mA and 1A at 6v depending on load.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”