2.8" TFT Touch Shield (Capacitive) Not Detecting Touches

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nclaire

2.8" TFT Touch Shield (Capacitive) Not Detecting Touches

Post by nclaire »

I have been using the 2.8 TFT Touch Shield for Arduino with Capacitive Touch for about 2-3 months, and I am just starting to notice issues with the screen detecting touches. It is not acting very reliably - sometimes it is okay, but other time it is not. I have it wired to a MEGA, so I am not using it as a shield.

I have noticed that the connection between the screen and the circuit board seems a bit loose. I can see white light from between the two parts, so they don't seem to be secured together very strong. I am wondering if this could be causing the issue? Is it possible the screen protector could be wearing out and affecting the touch?

I have not changed the wiring. The software has been minimally changed since I started to notice the issue. I don't suspect either of those would be the cause, so I feel like it must be hardware related.

I appreciate any guidance!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: 2.8" TFT Touch Shield (Capacitive) Not Detecting Touches

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Was it originally working OK and has only recently, after the 2-3 months of use, started showing this behavior?

nclaire

Post by nclaire »

Yes. I have not noticed this until just recently. I have had some other issues, but never this one specifically.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The TFT was designed to mainly be used in something that would provide an enclosure, which would hold everything in place. By being placed on the shield, there is no enclosure, so sometimes the TFT can lift up a bit. This generally is not an issue as long as things to get too far apart. One fix is to glue things down, similar to this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... shooting-2

Since it was originally working then not working, it could be several things. You should be able to place the TFT shield directly on to a MEGA, which supports the Arduino shield form factor. Can you post a photo of how you are actually making the connection between the TFT shield and the MEGA.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”