Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
denniscj7

Re: Standalone AVR ISP Programmer Shield Kit

Post by denniscj7 »

In my last post, I said that the sketch uploaded without a hitch, and that was loading to an UNO as an UNO. I tried to upload the sketch to the UNO as a Deumilanove and got the following
Binary sketch size: 28666 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
I then went back to load it as an UNO and it again worked fine.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try the following:

Compile the standalone sketch

Upload it to the Arduino with the shield

Place the chip in the shield.

Press the button, there should be a short beep

remove the chip

Place it in a NEW Arduino of any kind

Use DUEMILANOVE WITH 328 as the Arduino type

Upload blink to the NEW Arduino

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

In the 4th step above - press the button - I did and the green led flashed, the buzzer started and the red led came on. Both red led and buzzer stayed on until I removed power. Then I replaced that chip with a new one and good news - everything worked as expected all the way through uploading blink. One note here, you suggested I
Use DUEMILANOVE WITH 328 as the Arduino type
this produced this result
Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
I then changed that to UNO and it uploaded with no problem. Unfortunately, blink does nothing. I moved this chip to another board that I verified as working correctly and the results were the same. I also notice that when plugging the FTDI cable into the Arduino (I'm using this cable for power only at this point), I always see a blink or two of the led but not in this case. So it appears that we have all the steps working but the blink example doesn't work.

I should also point out that after "pressing the button" the green light flashed immediately and lasted less than a second, the buzzer behaved the same way.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thats right it takes only a second to program the chip, you can also look at the serial output

if you managed to upload Blink to the new chip, its working fine there's nothing in the bootloader that would make 'blink' not work as long as it uploaded correctly

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

It sounds like you're satisfied that the problem is gone.

What I bought was a kit and the assurance that there was a straight forward process in place for burning a bootloader. What I had was a process that did not work and had not been tested. Your support team has been very helpful in working out the kinks in the process that did not work. What I now have is a process that appears to work but that does not produce the desired end result.

Is this the result that Adafruit wants to stake it's reputation on? I think not.

May I suggest you take a new chip and follow the documented process to the letter and let us know how it goes.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we've sold hundreds of these kits and we use the one in the shop every single day to program thousands of arduino chips sold in the shop so we're not sure what's going on with your setup. as you've seen we've responded to every single post you've made within hours (or minutes!) with information to try and make the kit easier to use for you :)

it would be helpful if you can post up photos showing your setup, because we think there is some misunderstanding. can you post a photo of your arduino + programmer shield kit as well as the SECONDARY arduino you are using with an FTDI cable?

that would help us assist you better.

if all of this still doesn't work out, you can always email [email protected] for a refund of course.

thanks,
adafruit support

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

I decided to go through the whole process from start to finish this morning in the hope that I may have done something wrong yesterday. No luck. I took two new chips and went through the process and the burning part worked as it was supposed to. Was not able to upload the blink code to either. So I took pictures of all the pieces and screen shots of the first part of each of the 5 sections of code to help you see if there is a discrepancy there. The error message from the failed upload is
Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
and here are the pictures [img][img=http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/944/img0860ex.th.jpg]
[img=http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2913/img0857zj.th.jpg]
[img=http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7505/img0856fa.th.jpg]
[img=http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5301/img0858qb.th.jpg]
[/img] and here are the screen shots [img][img=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3497/ada5.th.png]
[img=http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9782/ada4.th.png]
[img=http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4063/ada3.th.png]
[img=http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/430/ada2.th.png]
[img=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/682/ada1.th.png]
[/img]

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

OK take the chips that you have burned with the bootloader and mark them clearly somehow. disconnect the FTDI CABLE and put it away

CAREFULLY remove the THM chip from your Arduino UNO and put it safely aside

CAREFULLY insert the new programmed chip into the UNO correctly

Select EXAMPLES->BLINK from the IDE. Select the UNO COM port. Select DUEMILANOVE WITH 328. Try to upload the BLINK sketch to the UNO. post up the results.

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

It works and works very well, with one quirk. Burn the bootloader, insert chip in UNO base, uploads blink and runs as expected. Now take same chip and plug into pcb you saw in one of my pictures with the FTDI cable. Power it up with the FTDI cable and blink runs as expected. BTW this is an ARDWEENY which I can upload anything to when it's using the pre-loaded chip that came with it. I subsequently took 5 more chips through the process and all worked as expected and all behaved the same way when plugged into the ARDWEENY base. So the quirk is that we cannot upload to a chip plugged into an ARDWEENY base after burning the bootloader. This is a real problem because I built the ARDWEENY into a pcb as you saw because I'm using 8 of them in a large robot. I don't want to have to switch chips back and forth between UNO and ARDWEENY just for uploading. Any thoughts?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well it sounds like

* your UNO works great
* your assembled shield works great
* the code for burning in bootloaders works great
* the burned chips work great

BUT

* the Ardweeny is not working great and you cannot upload to it

since the shield and our example work great, you may want to get some tech support for the ardweeny as we do not sell or support it.

thanks!
adafruit

denniscj7

Post by denniscj7 »

I think you missed my point. The ARDWEENY works perfectly well with the pre-loaded chip that came with it. It does not work with the chip that I burned with your protoshield and process. The logical conclusion of this is that your method is only good for UNO. Doesn't make sense.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

denniscj7 wrote:I think you missed my point. The ARDWEENY works perfectly well with the pre-loaded chip that came with it. It does not work with the chip that I burned with your protoshield and process. The logical conclusion of this is that your method is only good for UNO. Doesn't make sense.
our product is made and tested for the products we sell and support. clearly it works with the classic arduino, UNO, our boarduino, every arduino compatible we sell and support. we've sold thousands of these chips, not a single issue - sounds like something is different with the ARDWEENY. it's possible that it's actually not fully compatible.

if you're having issues with the ARDWEENY or need to know what is different in what they've made please contact the company you purchased it from.

as we said before you're always free to return the kit you purchased from us for a refund.

thanks,
adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”