Adafruit Voice changer (minimal sketch)?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jrdncly

Re: Adafruit Voice changer (minimal sketch)?

Post by Jrdncly »

Hey guys. I've been reading this thread and walking myself through what everyone else has been doing to troubleshoot their voice changers but I'm having some strange problems. I've used the serial port monitor to verify that my mic is working, I've switched back and forth between the 5V and the 3.3V + AREF configurations, and my board does play the startup sound when I turn it on but I still can't get the voice changer to work. If I turn the gain to somewhere about half way, I can get the mic to pic up on me blowing into it but with no modulation and little volume. Here's the weird part. I've noticed that if I touch my finger to the screw that holds the knob for the gain on the board, I CAN HEAR COUNTRY MUSIC PLAYING THROUGH THE SPEAKERS. Can someone please help me figure out why my board won't work or futhermore why it's picking up a local radio station.....

J

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Oh, you have an accidental radio.

Any amplifier with enough gain will end up coupling radio noise into the output unless you prevent it. In most cases it's undifferentiated (lots of stations all mixed together), but sometimes you get a natural filter at the right frequency to pick out a station.

Could you post a photo showing your hardware please? Let's see how that looks. 800x600 images usually work best.

Jrdncly

Post by Jrdncly »

This is the board I am using. I'm not using a pot and I just have my headphones connected to the board for now. I can tap on the mic and hear that it is working, but it still will not pick up my voice.
20150730_145518-min.jpg
20150730_145518-min.jpg (792.94 KiB) Viewed 490 times
20150730_145557-min.jpg
20150730_145557-min.jpg (537.69 KiB) Viewed 490 times
20150730_145540-min.jpg
20150730_145540-min.jpg (629.71 KiB) Viewed 490 times
J

adafruit_support_mike

It looks like you have some cold solder joints.

Give all the pin header joints a dab of solder and reheat them. You want a smooth, shiny cone from the pad up to the pin. Our soldering tutorial has plenty of tips: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering

Jrdncly

Post by Jrdncly »

Great! I've got it working! One final question. Im curious about programming one LED light to light up when someone speaks into the mic. I've seen the voice responsive mouth used in adavoice_face, but I can't seem to deconstruct the code to light a simple LED instead of an LED backpack. Any suggestions on this?

adafruit_support_mike

The basic framework looks like this:

Code: Select all

int level = analogRead( MIC_PIN );

if ( abs( offset - 334 ) > THRESHOLD ) {   //  334 = 1.65v on a 5v 1024-count ADC
    turnLEDOn();
} else {
    turnLEDOff();
}
You subtract the mic's no-input level on the ADC from the current input level, then take the absolute value to avoid having to worry about the sign. Then you compare that to a threshold of "loud enough to turn the LED on".

You can make the LED more well-behaved by making the functions that turn the LED on and off a little more complicated. You can add time delays to keep the LED from flickering, or you can use separate on/off thresholds to create what's called 'hysteresis'.

thdavemac

Post by thdavemac »

Hello, as i am new to this also i would like a few answers please, i have built the wavesheild, uploaded countless software, stuck to the tutorial.. i can play wave files off of sd with np, i need the voice mod (the only reason i went with the arduino). I have purchased all i thought that was needed for the project, and even piad to rush extra parts from adafruit and i seem to slamming my head agaisnt the wall..lol. i have 2 weeks left till comicon and i still need to mod my "Darth Vader"costume. i cannot find a code for just the voice changer (all I want atm) and what codes i do find i am not sure where to put them. I tried the sketch and nothing but errors .. i know its all hooked up right. Tbh i dont think i know what to do with the code .. this github has me going circles and makes no sense. I have copied code till my eyes went cross. All i want is to be able to get the right code for "just" voice changer (the HCwave is already on the arduino) i am using the exact schematic from the tutorial. I am testing with a bread board and a 10k pot .. the Aref is where it needs to be, the votages are where they need to be. But i cannot get the sketch to verfy. I have looked at youtube videos on how to use github, i realize its all pretty much like html code. If i could just get the simple "this is the code and put it here"senario i think that would slove my problem. I know the wave and arduino are working. If the code on this post is good for just voice changer ... where do i put it ?? I am really intrested in this new way (new to me that is) to build with these arduino projects and i am looking forward to doing more. Iam retired and love electronics.. its the sofeware conflicts i seem to be having an issue with .. once i get that down i will be making codes my self ..lol.
Normally i would work this out ... i am just pressed for time atm. Thanx for what ever you guys can help me with.

Ronlan1984

Post by Ronlan1984 »

Can any one tell me if the Mic and speaker can both be in the helmet or is that to close to Each other and also is there a picture of the breakout mic wired up or a schematic somewhere with the breakout mic installed

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”