There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

Waveshield/WaveHC seamless/gapless loop? (again)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Waveshield/WaveHC seamless/gapless loop? (again)

by xl97 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Hey gang--

been playing with another lib posted on the Arduino forums.. (SimpleSDAudio)

that does PWM audio output..etc..

I dont know about whats going on 'under the hood' (so to speak).... but it has a 'working' function.. that seems to keep feeding the cache with the next chunk of data for audio output.....

This has allowed me to get a seamless/gapless loop (no clicks, no pops, no overlay).. a nice, true 'loop'...

This has got me back to thinking about the WaveShield/WaveHC lib.. and the differences (or possible tweaks?) between the two libs... and how to get a better (seamless/gapless) loop from the WaveHC lib??

Is this a hardware problem/restriction? or code in way the lib was created?

I'd be very interested/curious if anybody has achieved this with the WaveHC lib? and if so..how? what tweaks to lib did you have to do? I have (another) project that could benefit from a better 'loop' playback than I currently get with the WaveHC lib..

:mrgreen:
xl97

Re: Waveshield/WaveHC seamless/gapless loop? (again)

by xl97 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

surely someone has tried to play a seamless/gapless loop with their Waveshield before....no?

maybe the WaveHC lib was -not- designed for this type of functionality?.. and only for simple triggered audio play back? (no looping)

I dont think having a snippet of code/function that acts as a 'watch dog' for if wav.iSplaying() (or whatever) really 'works' for making the loop seamless/gapless..

(even though the audio file itself is created to be looped seamlessly (zero cross fade..etc))

staff/support?

members? :)

thanks!
xl97

by xl97 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am

lets do 'da bump! :)
xl97

by ripanddestroy on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi,

I've been searching posts re: seamless looping and I came across a couple of your threads. Did you ever get anywhere with the library you preferred to use? I am getting ready to build a white noise/sleep machine using a wave shield and was looking for some known working code for a seamless loop.

Thanks,

Ripanddestroy
ripanddestroy

by xl97 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

no.. "I" havent..

but I haven been a bit busy on other projects..

I believe there was a reply HERE by a staff member who says it 'works for him'... using his supplied audio file..

(but not the one I had tested with, as well as sent to the author of the library, and has been used in 'many' other props/boards that play it seamlessly)

here is the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40263&p=200349&hilit=gapless#p200349

again.. i can hear/notice when the file starts over using the Waveshield.. but not other proprietary soundboards..

havent been back on that project in a while.. could figure out how to get seamless playback..s o I shelved it for the time being.
xl97

by Kirk Patrick on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 am

It's unfortunate, I have just bought a whole bunch of the wav Shields with the belief that it can loop seamlessly and it doesn't seem to do this.

I have tested it out with numerous different tones and different ways of changing the sample rate etc to see if the problem is in that.

It's really frustrating.

I was mainly using the example files provided here

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wave ... o/examples

and none of them seem to loop it flawlessly although they do seem to say that it will.

Any help ?
Kirk Patrick

by Kirk Patrick on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:37 am

oh, and i should also add that the samples all loop flawlessly in Ableton and Audacity but NOT in the Wav Shield.

If I find out otherwise I will come back and let you know.
Kirk Patrick

by xl97 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 am

Kirk Patrick wrote:oh, and i should also add that the samples all loop flawlessly in Ableton and Audacity but NOT in the Wav Shield.

If I find out otherwise I will come back and let you know.

please do..

I have asked/posted myself..

and while many people 'say' it will.. I havent actually found an example that 'will'...

there was one thread around here..where a mod/member posted it works...etc.. (with some file sample her had/posted)... but I never got back around to playing with this..
I believe it will take some serious re-working of the WaveHC library or something..

post back if you find anything!
xl97

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.