ultimate gps logger shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
highplains240

Re: ultimate gps logger shield

Post by highplains240 »

Thanks a bunch, Rick. It's working as expected. Your responses were timely as my searches lead me down the path of looking into the AltSoftSerial. In fact, I found another thread you were active on in regards to GPS and GSM (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38764) which has a lot of this same information and findings. So, thanks for being so helpful and thorough in a case-by-case basis. In my short experience, it's this kind of 'customer service' that makes Adafruit a standout.

A couple of additional questions:
  • Unlike your attached picture, I did not cut the RX to Dig 7 pin. I did a temporary jumper from RX to Dig 9 and I got the result I was looking for. Do I have to cut that line? Will I be consuming two outputs if I don't? If I do have to cut it, what are good ways of doing so (weird question but I haven't intentionally broken features of an IC)?
  • Now that I have this data writing to the SD, I will be able to do all the post-processing I want. However, if I want to go a step beyond, what do you think would be the ideal way to use this data for 'real-time' evaluation? i.e. I want to perform calculations using this data to give myself near-instantaneous feedback. I don't suppose I could execute these calculations using data stored on card so will I need to catch it in-between RX and TX, right? Would it get temporarily stored on logging shield?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Technically, you don't have to cut that trace (I didn't on my shield). But it means that you can't use D7 for something else, since D9 and D7 will be connected together. If you want to cut it, just use an x-acto knife or something like that. If you scrape off the blue solder-mask, you'll see that the trace is a thin strip of copper. Slice through it, and gently bend the edges away from each other about a millimeter or so.

The data is available after the call to gps.parse(). Look at the 'parsing' sketch to see how to access the individual data fields.
LIke this:

Code: Select all

Serial.print("\nTime: ");
    Serial.print(GPS.hour, DEC); Serial.print(':');
    Serial.print(GPS.minute, DEC); Serial.print(':');
    Serial.print(GPS.seconds, DEC); Serial.print('.');
    Serial.println(GPS.milliseconds);
    Serial.print("Date: ");
    Serial.print(GPS.day, DEC); Serial.print('/');
    Serial.print(GPS.month, DEC); Serial.print("/20");
    Serial.println(GPS.year, DEC);
    Serial.print("Fix: "); Serial.print((int)GPS.fix);
    Serial.print(" quality: "); Serial.println((int)GPS.fixquality); 
    if (GPS.fix) {
      Serial.print("Location: ");
      Serial.print(GPS.latitude, 4); Serial.print(GPS.lat);
      Serial.print(", "); 
      Serial.print(GPS.longitude, 4); Serial.println(GPS.lon);

Serial.print("Speed (knots): "); Serial.println(GPS.speed);
      Serial.print("Angle: "); Serial.println(GPS.angle);
      Serial.print("Altitude: "); Serial.println(GPS.altitude);
      Serial.print("Satellites: "); Serial.println((int)GPS.satellites);
    }

Magnetosphere

Post by Magnetosphere »

I did all of this and got it to work. Then I tried adding in the 10DOF sensor and realized there wasnt enough space on the UNO so I picked up a Leonardo. Now nothing works. Is there a reason this rewireing and using Alt_GPS wouldn't work on a Leo?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”