Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Lantronix Java/Server Info?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Lantronix Java/Server Info?

by TomLackamp on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:37 am

The Xport family looks interesting. I'm trying to think of something cool to do with one of them.

But before I decide what I want to do, I need to know what the device *can* do.

First of all, simply Telnet'ing through it just doesn't excite me at all. Something web-enabled is the way to go.

I've read all the docs available on the Lantronix site, for the Xport and anything from their other products that looked like it might be useful. There is absolutely nothing on that site that gives you any information about using the server!

Googling around the net the last couple of days, I've learned the following:

1. The Xport can store 384 kB of web pages. However, that storage is broken up into six fixed 64 kB partitions.

2. You can, theoretically, embed Java code in a web page loaded into one of those 64 kB bins, but the whole thing (compressed as a *.cob archive) must occupy less than 64 kB.

3. The archiver tool is on the CD that comes with the Xport.

4. It's, maybe, possible to communicate with the Xport's serial port using embedded Java code in the server. But the details and specifications are top secret. Lantronix doesn't want any potential customers to learn how to apply their products.

That's precious little information for the hours I've spent. Lantronix definitely isn't on my A list.

Just for kicks, I tried exporting some of the Processing examples to .html/Java. The .jar files were in the vicinity of 160+ kB. I've just begun looking at Processing, so I don't know if there's a way to reduce the .jar size to something suitable for the Xport server partition while still providing a useful interface for user interaction through the serial port.

Ideally, it would be cool to have someone connect to your Xport, see its web page, then interact with the Arduino by means of controls and displays on the web page.

Does anyone have any links to useful documentation that might show how to link the serial port to a web server page? Also... does anyone know how to write smaller .jar files in Processing?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
TomLackamp

by BigMike on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:40 pm

This is worrying - I've just bought a xport shield expecting this info to be available from somewhere.

I guess for my project I can get by with telnet, but I was really looking for more.

I've emailed Lantronix european support and will email my supplier - have you been in touch with Lantronix at all?

Mike
BigMike

by adafruit on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 pm

theres tons of documentation on the lantronix website
i spent a few minutes and found this:

http://ltxfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ltxf ... _topview=1

which is probably what you're looking for

adafruit

by BigMike on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks for the link, very useful.

I don't think I'd have found that article as I'd be searching for XPort, not CoBox (whatever that is).

Regards,

Mike
BigMike

Xport+

by nextrip on Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Getting ready to explore the Ethernet module for the Arduino and trying to get some feedback from others as to their experiences with the Xport modules.
I have looked at the Xport and Xport+ and see that the Xport+ has a web server built in as ladyada mentions. Which I find could be interesting to build some kinda dynamic webserver app for the Arduino. So I asked a few who, what, how questions to Gridconnect Inc. about the Xport+. This is the response from one of their Engineers
First, the OS inside the XPort-Direct+ is called Cobos which is only important if you develope your own application using the C Programmers Kit (CPK). It has a cooperative multi-tasking kernel, APIs for hardware peripherals, a TCP/IP stack, web server and other services.

The web server answers HTTP Get and Post requests. HTML, java and graphic files are stored in six 64K web partitions in the XPort's flash memory. Your files must first be bundled into a COB file using a web2cob utility before being loaded into the XPort. A COB file can be larger than 64K, but no single file in the COB can be larger than 64K. Your files can contain HTML, Java script, Java applets, graphics etc. There is no support for PHP. You must use a Java applet to create dynamic web pages with data from your serial device or write your own CPK application. Your CPK code can register your own function calls for specific Get and Post requests so that your code can supply the needed functionality for processing submitted data or providing dynamic web pages.

Found more Xport+ webserver info from this project site, they are using it on a CoBox board which is another micro controller board I think similar to Arduino
http://www.tigoe.net/pcomp/cobox/cobox-web-interface.shtml

nextrip

by adafruit on Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 am

afact an xport is a cobox

adafruit

by kj on Fri May 23, 2008 5:56 am

I had an Xport forwarding bytes from an RS232 to the net using the serial tunnel. Things were going so well I decided to try the Lantonix 'web enabling your device server' document & load the 'Hello world' page into web1. It worked, but it clobbered the inbuilt webpage (supposedly safe in web6) & also knocked the Xport off line, no more byte forwarding.

It took ages to find the original cob file on their website & get back to where I was since 'restore factory defaults', does not restore the native web page for device config.

Does anyone know why there is no <dir> type command to see the file structure in flash? And why is the 512k split into 64k blocks for 6 different web pages if the damn thing only serves up the first one it finds?
kj

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.