Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

connecting to server on home network
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

connecting to server on home network

by ih8gates on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:25 pm

Gather 'round. It's time for today's installment of:

ih8Gates asks a stupid question about the Xport!

Welcome! Today's question is: How do I connect to a server on my local network?

I know... silly question... but, I can't seem to get it to work.

Is there anything that you need to do differently if you're connecting to a machine on the same subnet? My Xport is configured to get it's info via DHCP. Its IP is 192.168.0.101. I want to connect to 192.168.109 on port 80.
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#define IPADDR "192.168.0.109"
#define PORT 80
#define HTTPPATH "/status.php"

Instead of returning data from the document, the linebuffer only contains "D" (disconnect).

I've fiddled with the Xport's gateway settings and tried assigning it a static IP.

I've made sure that the server is configured to respond to it's IP as well as hostname. When I view Apache's logs on the target server, I don't see the activity from the Xport.

I suspect that it's got something to do with the netmask, but 255.0.0.0 should work, right?

Is anyone else using an xport to connect to local resources?
ih8gates

by ih8gates on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:27 pm

BTW - the same exact code, changing only the target IPADDR and HTTPATH work correctly for machines outside of my local network.
ih8gates

by ih8gates on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 am

ok... so i guess i must be missing something really basic.

the code i'm running works correctly if i connect to a machine outside of my subnet, but not if i'm connecting inside.

I've tried setting my Xport's IP manually so that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 if that makes a difference.

it seems to me that if i had a configuration issue with ,y apache server i'd at least see the hit in the access logs.

just as a reality check - is anyone else using their XPORT to connect to a "local" server?
ih8gates

by KyleK on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:11 pm

if you haven't figured it out yet, try throwing a packet sniffer at it.
KyleK

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.