How to used the input/output pins on motor shield?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dalbo

How to used the input/output pins on motor shield?

Post by dalbo »

Daer Adafruit community,

I new in this prototyping world, but I already worked with arduino and stepper motor (using a home-made transistor circuit) and then I decide to move on using a motor shield controller with MATLAB. For this purpose, also the MATLAB support suggest to use your motor shield for arduino v2 (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1438).

Taking into account that I need some arduino pins for input and output for triggering and data acquisition , I want to ask if on the shield are there free pins to do that? Which pins are used for the shield to communicated with arduino? Do you suggest me to use plain header or stacking header?

Please feel free to answer me in the easier and most elementary way possible, you will not offend me :)

Thank you so much

adafruit_support_mike

Re: How to used the input/output pins on motor shield?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Motor Shield we sell now (v2) only uses two pins from the Arduino: SDA and SCK, which are used for I2C communication. All the others should be free.

The Motor Shield has two rows of holes for all the GPIO pins, one for the headers and one for wires going to other devices. Those are convenient for permanent installations, but can be hard to work with if you want temporary connections. For those, stacking header is the easiest way to combine a shield with GPIO.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”