Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Alternat power source
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Alternat power source

by problah on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:56 pm

Hey,

Long time listener, first time caller....

So this will be my first board that I will be soldering up in it's entirety.

The 4-36v alternate power source: Is this completely independant of the Arduino (except for going through the pulldown resistors [and is that ture?])? AKA, can I slap on two leads to a 12-24vdc battery, and not blow away the arduino, or the motorshield for that matter? I thought this was the case, but I read an earlier post by ada that said something a little quizzical to me, which was:

ladyada wrote:i will fix the timing variables, i made a mistake but i also have a few other fixes.
you can always connect a high voltage power source (up to 36v i believe) just for the motor drivers but the arduino cant take more than 16vdc so make sure you run them on seperate supplies
of course the chips themselves cant supply more than 1amp, but you can, in theory, wire them in parallel. i dont have any experience with that, tho

Thanks in advance!

problah

by adafruit on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:10 pm

yes its possible
basically
connect 24 Volts to the External Power terminals on the motor shield (make sure polarity is right!)
then make sure the jumper is REMOVED
then power the arduino using its own power connectors

adafruit

by problah on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:00 am

Perfect! Thankyou!

problah

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.