Adafruit Wave shield not working

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mantej

Adafruit Wave shield not working

Post by Mantej »

Hi adafruit, i recently bought a wave shield from you guys and i soldered everything to the board and when i ran the test code, it showed that the audio was playing but when i tried listening to it through my earphones, i couldnt hear anything. Could you pls help me resolve the problem, been stuck on it for a while.
Thanks and attached is the picture of my board.
Attachments
WP_20140815_024.jpg
WP_20140815_024.jpg (249.12 KiB) Viewed 224 times
WP_20140815_022.jpg
WP_20140815_022.jpg (408.1 KiB) Viewed 224 times
WP_20140815_020.jpg
WP_20140815_020.jpg (369.46 KiB) Viewed 224 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit Wave shield not working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

With all those coils, we can't see how your jumpers are connected.
Also, it looks like you have a few cold-solder joints and some that have not flowed onto the solder pad. This guide has tips on identifying and repairing solder problems. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... n-problems

Mantej

Post by Mantej »

Hey Bill, im pretty sure that the jumper cables are coiled correctly so no worries on that one. As for the solder joints, could you please help me identify some of the specific points i should resolder as im a novice in soldering. Thanks !

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It can be hard to tell from a photo. But the ones circled below look suspicious to me. There may be more obscured by the coils. In general, anything that looks dull or lumpy is a possible cold-joint. Anything that has not flowed well onto the pin or solder pad is likely have poor conductivity. Your joints should resemble the cross section below:

The signals passing through your coiled jumpers are the ones that control the DAC and most likely related to the problem you are seeing.

In general, you should try to keep your jumpers short. Coiling them up like that turns them into inductors, and excess inductance can cause problems with high-speed digital signals.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (254.36 KiB) Viewed 213 times

Mantej

Post by Mantej »

OK sure great ! Will work on them as soon as possible and we'll see what happens !

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”