Wave Shield SD formatting problem

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
loydmilligan

Wave Shield SD formatting problem

Post by loydmilligan »

A few things -

Built the wave shield and attempted to get the example sketch up and running. Tweaked the arduino RAM as suggested. Added the library. Checked the formatting (was MS DOS (fat16)) on the SD card. Converted an mp3 using itunes. When I uploaded the sketch I received the "Couldn't open filesys" message. I then tried reformatting the card as I thought it would be a good idea to start over from scratch.

So questions -

- on mac os x, is there an easy way to format a 1gb sd card as FAT16? Using disk utility it seems to automatically choose FAT32.

- what is the cause of the "Couldn't open filesys" message?

Thanks in advance

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

your card is formatted in fat32 not fat16 check the forum people have described how they got it working under a mac

loydmilligan

properly formatted

Post by loydmilligan »

I got the card properly formatted (FAT16, checked several times) using windows...still same issue - couldn't open filesys

From reading the forums it seems like others have had problems with specific cards (1gb?), I guess I will pick up standard SD card tomorrow and try it out. Is there any specific card that anyone can recommend?

Thanks

loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

BTW - I tried a "standard" SD card and the wave shield worked perfectly.

I noticed that the ultra SD card has an extra small PIN on one end, they must not be quite the same, although they are both SD cards...

Oh well, I got it working.

thanks again - the wave shield rules.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i am thinking of stocking sd cards that are -known- to work so that we dont have these problems. (i cant reproduce them so i cant debug them)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”