Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Appropriate motors for motor shield
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Appropriate motors for motor shield

by llamawoot on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm

I received and soldered my Motor Shield last night and all appeared to be going swimmingly. The only motor I had nearby was the RA-130 from a Tamiya 4WD chassis kit. I can't find a data sheet for it.

The motor shield was powered by an external 9V wall wart (from the Arduino Starter Pack).

When everything is hooked up and I run the demo program the motor tries to turn, but only starts to, and then dies. Oddly, it wasn't consistent, sometimes it would spin up appropriately other times it wouldn't. Any guesses on what's wrong? Is the motor just fried or is this a motor shield problem? The motor was working fine off of 2 double a batteries earlier in the day.

Better yet, can someone provide a link for motors that are known to work well with the motor shield?

Thanks!

Justin

llamawoot

Would this work?

by llamawoot on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/604

Also, the board can handle motors from 4.5V to 36V. I hate to sound dense but I'm new to all of this. How does the controller know how much electricity to send anyway?

llamawoot

Err, well..nevermind again.

by llamawoot on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Pretty sure I've gotten everything up and working. Voltage comes from the power supply, I can supply what I'd like.....motors work much better when not totally overvolted....if that's a real word/phrase.

Thanks!

llamawoot

by adafruit on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:02 pm

the motor controller just uses whatever voltage is provided to the power terminal (or the DC plug)

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.