Wifi101 Shield Unable to connect to WPA2 Network
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Wifi101 Shield Unable to connect to WPA2 Network

by GuidedByCthulhu on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi there,

I just picked up the Wifi101 shield, and I'm attempting to run the demo code "ConnectWithWPA". I have version 0.8.0 installed via the Library Manager, and the shield is running firmware 19.4.4. I can get the "ScanNetworks" code to execute; it lists all the networks fine. I have changed the ssid and pass arrays to my wifi name and password.

The code compiles, and uploads, but only gives the following (repeated every second or so):
Attempting to connect to WPA SSID: IYellVeryLoudly

Any ideas?

GuidedByCthulhu

Re: Wifi101 Shield Unable to connect to WPA2 Network

by GuidedByCthulhu on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Interestingly, I have now once again added the example sketch "ScanNetworks" to the Uno, and it is now failing with the following:

MAC: F8:F0:5:F0:9A:C9
Scanning available networks...
** Scan Networks **
** Scan Networks **
** Scan Networks **

Is there something wrong with the board, or should there be a specific version of the library used? Is there too little power over USB for this board?

GuidedByCthulhu

by GuidedByCthulhu on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 am

Some googling has given me this bug report:
https://github.com/arduino-libraries/WiFi101/issues/38

It is possible that when the "ScanNetworks" networks code was working, I had built against the 0.7.0 version of the library. I do remember updating some libraries, one of which was possibly the Wifi101 library. When I am able, I will clear the downloaded libraries, and build using the 0.7.0 version to see if this corrects the issue.

Is this issue (Lib v0.8.0, Uno, Wifi 101 Shield) reproducible by anyone else?

GuidedByCthulhu

by GuidedByCthulhu on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Alright, so I have tested the Wifi101 against version 0.7.0 of the library.

The "ScanNetworks" once again works as expected; all networks are listed (which are in range).
The "ConnectWithWPA" now works as expected; I have connected to my wifi, and have the following output:

SSID: IYellVeryLoudly
BSSID: 40:10:CD:E4:94:90
signal strength (RSSI):-57
Encryption Type:2

The arduino.cc bug report appears to be correct; version 0.8.0 of the Wifi101 library does not work with the Uno at this time. I should also note, that if downgrading doesn't appear to work, clearing your installation of the Arduino IDE, and the IDE's information under your user profile appears to fix everything / get the correct library version (which is 0.7.0).

Thats how I solved this anywho.

GuidedByCthulhu

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.