Uzebox Kit not working properly

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chrissiak

Uzebox Kit not working properly

Post by chrissiak »

Hi,
I recently purchased the Uzebox kit available on your shop, and after putting it all together, it is not working 100% correct. It loads the AVR Megatris game but when I attempt to exit to the bootloader by holding in a button on the controller and pressing the reset button, the bootloader fails to recognize that the SD card is inserted. It says that there is no SD card inserted when there is. Also, the Power button does nothing. I can only power on the Uzebox by plugging it in, and power it off by unplugging it. If anyone knows what could be my problem, I'd appreciate any help or advice! I thought I did a pretty decent soldering job, images are below.

Thanks!
Chris
Attachments
IMG_5539.JPG
IMG_5539.JPG (452.49 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
IMG_5538.JPG
IMG_5538.JPG (571.77 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5537.JPG (567.78 KiB) Viewed 5013 times

adafruit2

Re: Uzebox Kit not working properly

Post by adafruit2 »

just to check, can you load any games from the SD card or none at all - and can you play the games themselves?

chrissiak

Post by chrissiak »

I can't load any games from the SD card. The only playable game is Tetris because it was already flashed on the microcontroller and is not being read off the SD card. But the Tetris is fully playable.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its almost certainly the soldering on the SD card holder then - make sure there's no shorts/bridging/cold solder joints. your solder points look ok for THM but i think your iron isnt hot enough/fine enough?

chrissiak

Post by chrissiak »

Thanks, I will work on it with a finer soldering iron and report back. Does this have anything to do with the power switch or is that a different issue?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

*could* be related, but lets do the SD first - thats the easiest to debug :)

CliffWold

Post by CliffWold »

Hi - I am having the same issue with my UZEBOX Starter Kits. I have just built 2 of these kits and they are both doing the same thing. The tetris works fine but as soon as I go to the bootloader, it is like it isn't recognizing the SD card that came with the kit. It knows a card is present but doesn't give me any directory / game listing. If I remove the card, it knows no card is there. Then I replace the card and it gives me a blank loading screen like the attached picture. I have tried different cards ( I had ordered 3 kits, thinking I would build them with my daughter's grade 7 class )
It looks like either the bootloader isn't working properly ( is the ATMEGA being shipped with the correct FW load? ) or the SD card is not recognized by the system. ( Did you change SD card suppliers recently? Mine came with Elite Pro HS 256MB SD Memory Cards ). Or is it something that I am doing incorrectly? The schematics that I see online don't seem to be a correct representation of this version of the board. ( V1.3.1 ) when I download them from the http://belogic.com/uzebox/downloads.htm
PS - I can see the games are present on the SD card when I insert it into my laptop SD card slot.
Can you please verify that the SD cards and bootloader combination that shipped to me is compatible and works together and what my next steps should be?
PS - My system is a Win 10 - 64 bit unfortunately for recompiling anything as it appears that any tutorials discussions only refer to older compilers.
Thanks very much for your assistance.
Cliff
Attachments
Not worried about cold solder joints.. 2 boards did the same thing + not new to soldering.
Not worried about cold solder joints.. 2 boards did the same thing + not new to soldering.
IMG_1985.JPG (84.52 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
Here is what I see.. Just bootloader rev 0.4.5 and it doesn't flash red like it should I think when loading. Nor do I have the option of load file or menu.
Here is what I see.. Just bootloader rev 0.4.5 and it doesn't flash red like it should I think when loading. Nor do I have the option of load file or menu.
IMG_1983.JPG (54.98 KiB) Viewed 3811 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya plz contact uze, as they make the kit they're best at debugging setups! :) http://uzebox.org/forums/

CliffWold

Post by CliffWold »

I actually figured it out myself. It is the SD card is not compatible with the boot loader. When I pulled a 1G card out of an older camera, formatted it and copied games across it worked fine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”