Kit assembled but some problems

Moderator: adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dbetz

Kit assembled but some problems

Post by dbetz »

I built my FuzeBox starter pack kit today according to the instructions from the ladyada web site and everything went well. I did all of the suggested tests along the way and the power supply output measured 5v and I got the kaching sound when I tested the audio section. However, when I finished everything I noticed that I no longer get the kaching now that the video section is complete. I do get the hello world screen but all of the button indicators are lit at the same time and don't respond to button presses on the NES keypad. Also, sometimes the display cycles between a blank screen and the hello world screen repeatedly every second or so. Do these problems sound familiar to anyone? Any idea how I can stabilize my video and get the sound back?

Thanks,
David Betz

dbetz

Re: Kit assembled but some problems

Post by dbetz »

Okay, I think I've solved some of my own problems. It seems that the kaching sound is missing now because my TV must suppress the audio signal until there is stable video or something like that. When I plug my FuzeBox into my stereo instead of my TV I hear the sound. So, the audio circuitry is still working.

I still have the problem with unstable video sometimes out of reset. Maybe this is solved by the capacitor hack that's been discussed here. I'll try that once I find the right capacitor.

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

No luck. I tried adding the capacitor hack and it didn't resolve my problem with the video cycling. It almost looks like it isn't a video problem but instead a reset problem. It seems like the colorbartest just keeps starting over and over again. The video will appear and then disappear at about 2hz. Also, sometimes it stops cycling after a few cycles and stabilizes on the colorbars. What could cause this cycling? This seems to be my last problem. If I can get this solved I believe I'll have a fully functional FuzeBox. Any ideas?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you have it in your hand or lying on a table that could be conductive?
did you plug in the SNES controller? (you should try that)

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

No, it isn't being touched by anything conductive. I've had this problem with the board mounted in the enclosure as well as sitting on a non-conductive table with the rubber feet installed on the bottom of the board. I guess I'm going to wait until I get my FTDI cable so I can try some other programs before I worry too much about this. It seems to be a problem with my monitor syncing to the signal from the FuzeBox.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

every time it 'cycles' does the AVR reboot? that is, do you hear a cachink or the led blinking?
try Svideo/ntsc?

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

No, I don't get the uzebox logo, LED blinking or the cachink sound so it doesn't seem like its cycling through reset as I had originally thought. My guess is that the video isn't syncing for some reason and that's what's causing the cycling of the image. I tried using an S-video cable and the problem happens less frequently but still happens.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. is there a way you can test it on another TV by chance?
also, there are way better uzebox cores since the kit was made. you could try uploading a newer version in case there was a sync problem that was fixed

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll try another TV and I'll also try reprogramming the chip with newer firmware to see if that helps. I haven't done that yet because I wanted to wait until my FTDI cable came so that I could try downloading some samples using it to further verify my system before reprogramming the firmware that came with the kit.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well your ftdi cable should arrive very soon. we forgot a few from some starter packs :( but they're sent out the moment we get an email!

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

I got my FTDI cable and have been able to successfully program a couple of demos. All still have the flashing problem which is worse with CVBS and somewhat better with S-video. It may just be my LCD monitor. I have to find a way to hook the Fuzebox up to a real CRT TV at some point to see if that has the same problem. Now off to writing my own programs for this thing!

uze6666

Post by uze6666 »

The Uzebox kernel, just like the NES & SNES uses 524 lines per frames instead of 525. Some LCD monitors don't like non-standard video signals. Seems that .5 line per field is the problem. If you have a NES/SNES lying around try pluggin it into your TV to see if you get the same problem.

Uze

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

I don't have a working NES or SNES but I did try the FuzeBox with a CRT TV and the problem goes away. I guess it's just that my cheap LCD TV doesn't handle the slightly non-standard video from the FuzeBox very well. Are there particular LCD TVs that work better than others? Mine is a Westinghouse 19". In any case, I guess my FuzeBox is working okay.

Thanks,
David

uze6666

Post by uze6666 »

but I did try the FuzeBox with a CRT TV and the problem goes away.
Glad to hear that. I've got a 32" Toshiba and it work perfectly. However, on a Sony portable BANNED player I have, the image can't lock. So it sees there's a lot of variation regarding handling of signals deviating from the standard.

Uze

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Fuzebox (discontinued)”